Chettinad lamb or mutton curry
Little history would be more appropriate for this recipe. In TamilNadu, karaikudi (Place) is popular for the chettinad food, chettinad house etc. The chettinad cuisine is well known for the tasty spicy dishes. Their food is prepared with freshly grinded masala. Well, the Chettinad Chicken is one of the famous dish. But i love to make this recipe with mutton, egg, even vegetables. For the vegetarian people, definetly the Karai Kozhambu will be in another post.
Mutton: 2 lb
Onion: 1 chopped
Tomato: 2 chopped
Ginger & garlic:1 tsp
Curry leaves: 8
Coconut: 1/4 cup grated and gring imto paste
Masala: Roast and grind
Cinnamon stick: 1/2
Onion: 1/2 cut into lengthwise
Poppy seed (khus Khus):1 tbs
Pepper corn: 1/2 tsp
Red chilis: 3 or 4
Dhania: 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin: 1/2 tsp
Fennel: 1/2 tsp
- Clean and cook the meat with 1 tsp of chili powder + ginger garlic paste for about 30 min
- Add the salt once the meat is cooked.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan, fry the chopped onion followed by the masala
- Add the cooked meat, chopped tomatoes and curry leaves
- Finally mix the coconut paste and let it cook 10 minutes in medium flame
- At the end garnish with some more curry and coriander leaves before serving.