Fish Fry

Grew up in coastal area, seafood is huge and major business in my town. We never buy with a fishmonger who comes in daily basis in the street. I remember going to the fish market with my dad. Amazed to see the whole ocean creatures in the fish market, my dad busy of selecting fish and bargaining the price with those ladies. Oh, yeah, the fisherman wives fix the rate for their husband fresh catch. A shot taken last summer in my hometown where it is usual to see the fish drying or dying (if u think) in seashore! My mom prepares some amazing fish dishes and vegetables, in her everyday meal to satisfy everyone’s palate. I was the only one who expects the fish smell in everyday meal, give me at anytime, breakfast, lunch and dinner, I never gets tired …Here comes the turning point (marriage), my behalf cannot stand the fishy smell, I tried to introduce him in many ways the seafood, but I failed to succeed. Tired, I became almost vegan because of him. It was very hard the first few years to get adjust without the fish, but after seeing frozen fish, I am not tempted at all. My son enjoyed the fish fry in his last India trip. From, couple of months, I just buy Catfish because it almost doesn’t smell anything (just to avoid my hub unnecessary commentssengihnampakgigi), for me, the fish should smell fishy, the ocean and not nothing!
My mom definitely will not fry like that; I did it according my son taste,  he is fond of chicken and he adores this fish fry.



Ingredients

Fish: 2 Catfish fillets or any fillet will work
Chilli powder: 1 tsp Paprika (less heat but has the color) or Kashmiri chilli (It has the natural red and heat)
Salt: per ur taste
Ginger garlic paste: ½ tsp
Lime juice: ½ lime
Garam masala: ½ tsp
Oil: 1 tsp
Red color: a pinch optional

Method

Mix all the ingredients except oil in the fish and marinate for 10 min. Heat the pan with oil and fry the fish, flipping only once after 7 min. And you are done!

Note: Fish are delicate, cook fast, while frying just flip only once otherwise you will break into parts.




Comments

FH said…
I saw many many fish dishes today including mine!:)
Love the first photo, I have seen those drying in Mangalore a lot. Fish fry looks delicious,I will try next time. I have been buying Fish these days!:D
Cham said…
Seeing ur Fish dish this morning, i got excited Asha
Dhivya said…
Hey cham dear!fish fry looks colorful and yummy..i make with salmon fish,,never tried in cat fish...must try
Kalai said…
Love the red color!! Catfish is one of my faves. Fish fry is awesome anytime! :)
Unknown said…
Hi Cham..the fish looks delicious..I come from a coastal area too..N love fish..
sandhya said…
lovely fish fry.... love the color...
Cham said…
Dhiv: if u love salmon, u should love catfish
Kalai: U r right
Divya V: Glad to know another coastal gal :)
Sandya: Thank you
Unknown said…
What a beautiful colour that fry is cham:)
Revathi said…
Cham
So this is how fish is dried ? I thougth they will be hung in strings-

I share the sameee plight too.. I love fish but my hubby does not care much -
Cham said…
Saswati: Thank u
RevatiGood quest: They just lay down the net and spread the fish over , just to make easy ... Hanging in string,mostly salted fish when u have only few and usualy done at home method...
Finla said…
I love fish fry, your looks ddelicious.
You are from pondicherry, we were there for some 4 days for holiday two years back and loved it.
I think my huuby still say that he ate the best french bread from there. Just loved the place especially in the evening near the sea side
Rachel said…
Pondicherry is such a lovely place to holiday1

Love the colour of the fish!
Cham said…
Happycook: Ur husb is right, U can get the Fresh french bread everyday , Still French influence :) My school route was the beach road , i never missed not even a day my beach....
Rachel: beautiful and pleasant place to live too :)
Pooja V said…
And i have found another coastal chick. I love shallow fried fish. Infact that is the Only way we make it bk home in goa.
Anonymous said…
Great Fish fry Cham :) Do u even fry chicken this way ??
reshma said…
what a brilliant red color? Do you get kashmiri chilli powder in` the US?
Cham said…
Pooja V: Glad u r from coastal 2 :) Should love those seafood...
Homecooked:Same ingredient but i love chicken deep fried...
Reshma:I got this brand "badshah" in US Indian grocery stores...
Sagari said…
nice and tempting pic cham ,my husbend will love this fish fry
Malar Gandhi said…
Just like that browsed ur fish category, my gosh love the picture...beach full of dry fish, hmm pretty tempting infact. me too...always wanted a piece of non-veg in my food every single day:) Dunno whether I will change ever:)