Sandesh - RCI- Bengal

Sri Aurobindo, Bengali- born as Aurobindo Akroyd Ghosh in August 15, 1872 in Kolkata(Calcutta), India. His Father was Dr.K.D. Ghose and his mother Swarnalata Devi.
Known little as Hindu Nationalist, poet, turn into spiritual Yogi and guru and spent rest of his life in Pondicherry- India. His Samadhi at Aurobindo Ashram attracts thousands of people every year. To learn more about his biography and integral Yoga, visit this page.
Proud to be born in Pondicherry where some other great personality lived too like Bharathiar (Tamil poet- Freedom fighter) and Bharathidasan (tamil Poet). Bengalis are not unknown people for us. They have their own community, business in my town. When I heard RCI –Bengal, first thing came on my mind was Sri Aurobindo and Bengal sweet. Bengalis run a small Sweetshop but very popular for fresh milk based sweet, they make small batches on everyday basis… My favorite sweet was rasamalai, kalakhand and sandesh.. Comparing those three items, Sandesh was the easiest for me. So I decided to prepared at home, came out pretty good and more important thing doesn’t require cooking apart making the paneer!



 

To make paneer/Chenna
Milk:
4 cups
Curd: 1 cup
Bring milk to boil and add the curd slowly. Once the paneer starts to float. Swtich off the stove and drain in cheese cloth. Run in cold tap water for 2 minutes and hang it for at least 3 to 4 hours.




To make Sandesh
Sugar:
confectioner sugar: 1/2 cup
Elaichi: 4 pods (powdered)
Rose water: few drops
Pistachio: few sliced to decorate

Mix sugar, elaichi, rose drops to the paneer and knead well. Shape sandesh in any form. Decorate with pistachios and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Note:If your paneer mixture is little loose put the knead mixture in a bowl and heat in medium flame for 2 minutes.
I did not cook the paneer it came out perfect.

Little History and my sweet go to RCI- Bengal hosted by sandeepa of Bong Mom’s cookbook.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi cham, sandesh looks so good :) Loved the look of your blog:)
Dhivya said…
hey cham sandesh looks great and nice information too..u got it perfect:))
sandhya said…
sandesh looks delicious...
Cham said…
Roopa: Thank u Roopa and welcome
Dhiv:Time to share some great personnality too
Sandhya:Thank u dear:)
Kalai said…
Looks wonderful, Cham! Nice entry! :)
Sagari said…
recipe looks simple and those balls look sooo delecious and elegent cham
Meera said…
Hi Cham:
Bengali sweets are my most favorite sweets in the world. I wish I was nearby. I would have (shamelessly) eaten probably all of them!!!:-D
Delicious entry.
Uma said…
Wow, sandesh looks so mouth-watering, Cham! nice entry.
Unknown said…
I was asking my hubby what to prepare for RCI Bengal..He suggested me Sandesh..Urs look great Cham
Mansi said…
I simple LOVE bengali sweets!! your "sondesh" looks inviting cham!:)
Unknown said…
they look delicious cham!!!was planning to make this but somehow could not manage..
Bong Mom said…
Wow, you all are making such wonderful sweets for RCI I am drooling. Lovely, delicious entry
Thanks
Laavanya said…
That makes a very elegant dessert.
Divya Kudua said…
Hi cham..sandesh is looking yummy.Good presentation too!!!
Cham said…
Kalai,Uma: Thank u for ur warm encouragements
Sagari:Very simple to try at home :)
Meera:I love only Bengali sweet because it has mild sweet :)While shaping i ended up eating one no two :)
Diviya Vikram:Sandesh is one of famous bengali sweet.
Mansi: I guess, they say Sondesh too , Thank u:)
Sowmya:Thanks u , pretty easy to handle it
Sandeepa: waiting ur round- up to save all those Bengal sweet and fish curries....
Laavanya,Divya:Thank u for ur nice words...
EC said…
I just love bengali sweet, the other day i saw cham cham on a blog and today this...i wish i stayed close to ur houses :-)
Archana Doshi said…
yummy, lovely sandesh. today being holi, we are having rosagollas and sandesh in our building party. Cant wait to have them. The tasty dish is so easy to make isn't it? Lovely pictures.
Niya prakash said…
Hi cham

Thanks

We're great fan of Bengali sweets

Cheers

Niya
Lavanya Raj said…
Cham..My native is Pondicherry. great that we meet up here in blogosphere. i have been to aurobindo sweets..i have green memories over ther with my grand parents..

Your sandesh looks so yummy..send me a pack of sandesh:)
Deeba PAB said…
Droolicious sandesh Cham!! They look perfect! Very pretty indeed!!
bee said…
this sounds so easy. will definitely try it. thanks for the recipe. i haven't eaten sandesh in many many years.
Jaya M said…
Cham
it looks so wonderful..
I guess its called makha sandesh ..
hugs and smiles
jaya
Vaishali said…
Although I'm a vegan, I must say this looks extraordinary good, Cham.
Unknown said…
the sandesh looks perfect cham!
Namratha said…
Fabulous Cham, Sandesh looks delicious! This was on my to try list too then I opted for Cham Chams :D
Seena said…
Had tried this once, but didn't get in good form.. :)
Bharathy said…
You have a real CHARMING place cham :)...
you got the perfect sandesh here :)...
Looks very inviting!
Raks said…
Wow What a mouthwatering sweet! I think i haven't tasted one b4,but now i really want one!
Richa said…
now who can say no to that lovely sandesh, not me ;)
beautiful!
Cham said…
Thanks everyone for ur warm and encouraging comments :)