Apricot preserve in Microwave & sweet roti

We are not big fan of fruit preserves or jam/jelly. Reason, both of us didn’t like to start with sweet things in morning of course except Tea with sugar. Rather than spreading jam, we just grab the butter! It really depends on my son’s mood to have P & J for his lunch box!
Other than that with toast, I use jelly or preserve whenever I am running out of fruit yogurt, I just mix with plain yogurt. It is perfect snack at any time…

After trying many recipes in microwave for Valli's Microwave cooking event. I found many easy recipes could be done in jiffy. The huge difference is amount of cooking time is reduced compared to the stovetop. Last month, I tried mango chunda in microwave the result was amazing. When she announced this month theme –bottled.

I wanted to give a different try out which is preserve. Looking for seasonal fruit, California grown apricots were abundant in farmer’s market. They only appear for short period. Apricots are little tangy when they are unripe. Those velvety fruits grab my attention and i wanted to give a try out for the Apricot preserve. Difference between Jam & preserve: You can find fruit chunk in preserve and the jelly/jam is more like puree, so I prefer the preserve for the consistency.




Final look of the preserve from Microwave



Bottled look!

Apricot preserve



Cooking time in microwave: 10 min (depend upon ur power level)


Wash the fruits in running cold water and pat dry with a clean towel.


Ingredients:
Apricot: 3 cups chopped
sugar: 1 1/2 cup , increase the sugar level to 2 cups if you love sweet.
Lemon juice: 1 tsp (optional)

Method:
Take a microwave safe bowl, mix the fruit and sugar together well.
Microwave for 2 minutes.
Take it out and mix well and keep it back and cook for another 8 minutes.
Every 2 minutes, please take out the bowl outside and mix with a clean wooden spoon.
After 10 minutes, the mixture will be a preserve consistency.
Cool it down and mix the lemon juice, transfer in clean and sterile jar to preserve it.
I always store my jam in Fridge.



@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@





Preserved filled roti


With a fruit preserve, I made this kid sweet snack/Lunch! I am sending this Fruit preserve filled roti to the sweet event series : Rotis & polis hosted by Mythreyee...Another delicious way to stuff your roti!
sweet roti


Ingredients:

Atta or wheat flour: 1 cup
Sugar: 1 tbsp
Oil : 1 tsp
water: to make a soft dough
Preserve/jelly: of your choice

1.Mix sugar and flour together. Mix the water slowly until you form a nice dough. add the oil on top and let it rest 30 min.

2.Take a small ball out of the dough and roll a thin chapati (roti).

3. spread some preserve in the rolled chapati and make another one to cover it.

4. Wet slightly the edge of chapati filled with preserve and place the other one at the top and seal it.

5.Heat a pan and cook the roti until they turn brown on both side.

Can be eaten plain or with more butter and preserve on top.





@@@@@@@@@@

I really woke up this morning with two Big Hugs .One more to be added in my list given by JZ who never deceive me with her treat and the second hug comes by Madhavi.
This time I am very prompt to post it and will pass it sure later...






Comments

FH said…
One more Hug from me too without the award but just me!:)

Wonderful looking Preserve, we can control the sugar when made at home.
I don't even feel hungry here in the morning unlike we do in India. I have to eat something to take my Vitamin, so I grab a slice of bread, chewing on that for an hr!:D
I love a good lunch later in the afternoon.

Great entries, I made a similar sweet chapati too!
Enjoy your award!:))
Cham said…
AshaThank you very much for such a warm hug! Right, i really made for my sweet level and love it for the mild sweet and much fruity flavor :) You re like me, i go directly for lunch at sharp 12 pm!
kamala said…
This one is looking beautiful jam..WIll try with apricot soon.The rotis too looking pretty.Congrats on ur award Cham.
Will try ur chettinad chicken soon Dear...Looks amazing
Sujatha said…
Great Preserve, Cham! I love the color and the fact that its ready in 10 mins with just a couple of ingredients.. I'll try soon..

Also, Your Sweet roti is a great idea for my daughter's lunch box.. She would love this! I'm sure I would love this too, but getting a new idea for kids' lunch box is such a big relief for me :)
Anonymous said…
Hi cham, This sounds yummy. I love sweets. wanna try this for sure...
Unknown said…
nice preserve and love the way you used for sweet roti...great entries..
Mansi said…
that's a neat filling for a missi roti Cham! i too cooked with apricots last week:)
notyet100 said…
LIKE UR NEW TEMPLATE...LOOKS SO DELICIOUS ND INVITING...NICE PRESERVE,..AND THE COMBO LOOKS GOOD
Dee said…
Cham , one more bear hug from me... Im sorry that I never took out the time to go through your blog.. so its time I do that, after rc,nupur, its your turn!!! the preserve looks yummy!!!
bha said…
nice idea of an apricot preserve....enjoy you warm bear hug, you deserve many more of them
Unknown said…
Lovely preserve, me too made it but next time use microwave.Hey Roti sounds awesome.Try that soon.
Srivalli said…
Cham..thats excellent...lovely to actually know cooking time is reduced so much!..thanks for the lovely entry!
ST said…
Love the preserve cham.....As i like sweets Will try this soon.......Love the color...
There is something waiting for u at my blog :))
EC said…
Looks so good...I have an award for you again on my blog
perfect color of the preserve cham.....
Richa said…
love all things apricot :) preserve looks so yum! yup, the apricot season is so short, i usually make do with dried apricot most of the times ;)
Anonymous said…
The sweet roti looks delicious. Nice lace-like look at the edges.
Rachel said…
Perfectly done...
Laavanya said…
What a beautiful colour that preserve has Cham.. and nice idea to make a sweet roti. Am sure your son enjoyed it.
Uma said…
delicious preserve and fantastic sweet roti Cham dear! Congrats on the award! A biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig hug from me too!
Sailaja said…
Congrats on your awards. Lovely recipe
Unknown said…
caramba explanation - see my blog....
Madhavi said…
Beautiful jam Cham, roti looks great too. Will try soooon!!!
Sum Raj said…
wooo..today am going to try with strawberries....and fantastic sweet roti..congrates on ur award..
Sunshinemom said…
Srivalli is stirring up a storm with her m/w event this time! I am seeing preserves everywhere - this right seems up my alley:) Nice glorious colour too:)
Andhra Flavors said…
What a beautiful colour. and perfect filling for a missi roti Cham.
the apricot preserbes look yummy!! i would like some, Cham! Justlast week I made some strawberry preserves from Sunita's recipe..the sweet roti looks stuffed pile high with yummy treat!! :-) gotta post it sometime soon!! congrats on ur awards, and thanks for mentioning me :-)
Prema Sundar said…
preserve looks yummm and I bet it would taste delicous. 10 mins to make it is really amazing.love the idea of sweet roti. thanks.
great profile pic, Cham! :-)
Unknown said…
Looks too too delicious cham..Love that sweet poli..And time for me to make preserves at home I guess.
Archy said…
Wow, Apricot preserve looks so nice Cham !! Need to try !!
Chapathi very well presented !! Feel like having it :)!!
DK said…
Ohhh this looks amaizing. Am yet to make a jam/preserve with apricot. Will do so soon :)

Congrats on the awards

As for your query - Thai is another cuisine is altogether :) Jus chinese-indo chinese and sichuanese :) Hope this was useful :)
cham is there a change in ur profile pic or am i just imagining?
J said…
Lovely preserve, Cham! It's so good to make a preservative free version at home!
vandana rajesh said…
That's looks real yummy cham. Haven't ever tried something like this in the micro. There's so much to learn here in the foodies world.
theres something for you on my blog :-) check it out...
A_and_N said…
Hi Cham, the preserve looks nice and its appears easy to make. Thanks for the recipe! And I really loved the stuffed rotis. The way you pinched the edges make them look like a pie :) Sweet!
ranji said…
Awesome cham..loved the apricot preserve...its perfect just like a store bought and a roti made with it!!!very creative...loved them both :)
Swati said…
Hi Cham
Th preserve looks perfect and delicious..Feel like preparing it too and you make it look very simple!!
Cham said…
Swati Garg Ha ha not imagination, i changed my profile pict!
Thank you everyone for ur sweet lovely comments
Beyond Curries said…
Very easy and healthy preserve Cham. Wonder what I can do with a big packet of dried apricots!

Reg. YRR, please send vegetarian entries. Thank you very much.