Kodo Ko roti - Finger Millet pancake

This month RCI event-North-east indian cuisine was quiet interesting, seven sisters states together. At the first glance, I thought I had a huge variety in front of me to explore and cook for the event. But the truth no, surprise to see the tribes and ethnic group came from the different neighboring countries. So the food, the language, the culture, religion differ each other.

Bhags just did an amazing job to tell about each state and provided recipes too, to make the life easier. I went through all those recipes. But nothing impressed me, may be the recipes called for special ingredients or the main ingredients is Pork or Fish (mostly dry).
I just ended up with something to please my palette and very common ingredient in every household.

The Sikkim foodKodo Ko Roti” is a pancake prepared with finger millet. Usually served with Achar (pickle), I guess for breakfast. Millet is one of their main dietary foods. The pancake is very quick, simple but mostly a healthy start! I found the recipe here.
But I was little confused in the way of preparation. They say “ Knead to make paste”, so I made like a thick batter consistency and spread like pancake!



Finger millet pancake



I just used 1 cup of Finger millet Flour, 3/4 warm water, 1 tsp of sugar, make a thick consistency paste and spread in hot griddle, cook in medium flame. Smear some ghee and enjoy with pickle!

The RCI event is originated by Laksmi and this month theme has been chosen by Bhags.



Comments

Laavanya said…
That is a healthy breakfast.. :) Nice entry Cham.
Madhavi said…
Hey Cham...rocking entry, pancake looks awesome, great. Thanxxxx for sharing!!!!
FH said…
If they are talking about kneading, they are talking about Ragi rotti, didn't know they eat it too. Cool!!:)
Looks yummy, I haven't made ragi dosa at all so far, got to make it! Great entry Cham!:)
Cham said…
They said knead to make paste and spread a tbsp in pan so only the word "Knead" confuse between roti and pancake. He he so i though this pancake is something between the two (roti & Dosa) Asha
bha said…
nice recipe cham...thanks for the lovely entry
Archy said…
Nice entry Cham, with some confusion :)!!

As Asha told, it might be ragi roti !! I love to eat it rather than making it.. TO much of work :D !!
Uma said…
millet pancake looks so lovely, Cham! I wanted to make the same one for RCI, but changed my mind and went with tomato achar! they must have tasted great. Love the picture.
Rachel said…
They look lovely~
Andhra Flavors said…
health breakfast! and Kodo ko roti sounds delicious.
Finla said…
Wow love that pancake.
great entry cham, i was also surprised by the lack of diversity in the recipes for those states on the net!! but anyhow, u managed to make it beautifully! i took the easy way out with a soup!
kamala said…
Love the pancake Cham..Got cleared after reading the Asha's comments and urs.Great entry.
Kalai said…
Nice one, Cham! Great entry for RCI! :)
Suganya said…
Hi....
This is a YUMMY and healthy roti recipe. Looks so good. Have to try this. Hay have some thing for u in my blog....
Bong Mom said…
Do you buy finger millet flour or you make the flour at home ?
Sailaja said…
Nice and healthy b'fast Cham...

Good one.
Cham said…
Sandeepa I bought it
Sig said…
That is a nice entry for RCI cham.... I have never had ragi pancake..... Nice color..
FoodieFriend said…
Hi....It looks yummy! Good stuff.....
Happy blogging!
ranji said…
this looks really healthy and yummy cham:)..great entry..
Unknown said…
nice roti .very healthy indeeed
Shubha Ravikoti said…
nice entry dear....:)
Swati said…
Healthy rotis Cham.. Very different...
Unknown said…
HEALTHY.i love ragi upma also..
They look good. I saw the recipe too. They say knead but given the ingredients and proportions, seems like it has to be a pancake and they call it that.
ST said…
Lovely and healthy pancakes...Gr8 entry:))
millet pancake looks good Cham.I usually make dosa out of this flour with onions and green chillies seasoned.very good for health.good try
Nice pancake Cham! Looks yummy:)
Vaishali said…
A delicious and healthy recipe, Cham. I will definitely try this. Thanks!
Cham said…
Thank you everyone for ur warm encouragements
Unknown said…
this is a new dish to me..sounds healthy..loike the photo
Unknown said…
this is a new dish to me..sounds healthy..loike the photo
Siri said…
Ragi Pancakes sound interesting Cham.. nice entry for RCI! even I had a hard time to find recipes of NE India!..

Hugs,
Siri
perfect for breakfast na cham ...
good looknig ones...
Sunshinemom said…
Good entry! I could not find a satisfactory one as every recipe I saw seemed to have some non-veg ing.:( It is common in Maharashtra and Karnataka and taken with Zunka.I did not know it had traveled upto Sikkim! Indian cuisine always stumps me with its variety!