Wheat idlis & Coconut Tamarind chutney

Being a South-Indian, Idli & chutney were almost routine breakfast. Mom comes up with different chutneys everyday, the key ingredient is coconut but she turns one day, garlicky chutney, another day coriander, mint, etc… Weekend is always reserved for a special time-consuming breakfast like Appam, puris, puttu…
Now, the wheat has a predominant role due to the health concern for my parents, like wheat Kanji, Wheat upma and this wheat idlis appears more frequently for breakfast or dinner time/ tiffin. The wheat idlis (kothumai idlis in Tamil) are healthy, pretty much cholesterol free, good to keep in track your health and shape…
Nowadays, events are piling and keep growing like monster! I managed to combine with simple wheat idlis and tamarind chutney and many events in one post.



This month Open Sesame 2, I choose box no 3 hoping it will not be Grain… Last month, I got grain in box 3 and I thought it is hard to crack grain riddle. Guess what these two ladies sneaked again Grain in box no 3.

The riddle is:
I am a grass, or am I a cereal or a grain
I am everywhere and in almost all the foods you eat
My whole being used in many ways without restrain
I offer you something which is so hard to beat
I am as old as you can think of me to be
Thought to be originated from the land of camels
I am breakfast, lunch and dinner for all to see
Or be it desserts from cakes, pies to caramels
I am famous all over the world from east to west
As breads, flatbreads, cookies to muffins
I am v healthy and like a treasure chest
For ppl - weight conscious and its healthy kins
Buckle up and take a pen and a paper
I am yellow when alive, brown when put to 'dust'Eating me makes you look so dapper
Now think hard and tell me what is that grain that we all genuinely trust.




 
Ingredients to wheat idlis:
Wheat rava looks like coarse semolina.They should not be fine like powder or can be made with cracked wheat too but run in mixie to make it coarse the cracked wheat. Have a glance if you haven't seen yet! Wheat rawa: 1 cup
Sour Yogurt:1 cup
Water: 1/2 cup
Salt: according your taste
Baking soda: 1/2 tsp
Cilantro & curry leaves: 1 tbsp chopped
Seasonning:
Channa dhal: 1 tsp
Urad dhal: 1tsp
Mustard seed: 1 tsp
Cashew: 1 tbsp Broken (optional)
Grated coconut (opti): 1 tbsp
Oil: 1 tsp
Onion: 1 /4 minced finely

To grind or u can chop it too:
Green chilis: 3 numb Grind with little water (good if u want to feed kids )
How to prepare the instant idlis?
Heat oil and season with all the ingredients and fry the onion for 2 min! add to the dry ingredient (Baking soda,wheat, salt) mixture, pour the yogurt, water , grinded green chilis and mix into idli batter consistency (little thick).
Grease idlis mold, fill the idli mold and steam for 10 min. When you insert a toothpick, it should come up clean.
Now you can serve those idlis with chutney.


*This wheat idlis is my second entry to OS2 created by the duo in Dinning Hall forum. Don't forget to vote if you like my healthy entry at July 1 rst! What a fun event!
*As far it is instant idli, u can make it without any hassle J. I am sending those healthy idlis to WBB , originated by Nandita , and this month Raaga choose to make it express breakfast
*Yogurt is the main ingredient to bring any dish an instant sour taste, which is a key ingredient to make soft with the raising agent (baking soda) for instant idlis…. Sending to Siri who is hosting Frozen yoghurt.
Coconut, I cannot imagine a dish without it, I sprinkle at least some grated coconut in all my curries… even little coconut has been added to the wheat idli. I would strongly advice if you re dieting don’t add coconut in Idlis! My idlis and chutney are ending to the coconut event.



Coconut & tamarind chutney
Ingredient:
Coconut: 1 /2 cup freshly grated
Dhalia dhal (pottu kadalai): 1 /4 cup
Tamarind: 1/2 inch piece (soaked in hot water- or add little water and microwave 10 senconds)
Green chilis: 3 num or reduce or increase according ur taste level but 3 would be perfect mild.
Salt: according your taste
Grind everything together and season with the ingredient below.



Seasoning:
Mustard : 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal: 1/2 tsp
hing: a pinch
Oil: 1 tsp
curry leaves: few for smell
Add oil first and season with the ingredient and stop once you heard the cracking sound.The coconut is balanced with the tangy taste of tamarind, which brings an unusual taste to coconut chutney. Goes well with any idli, dosa, rotis…

*Sending my idlis and coconut tamarind chutney to this month AFAM –event, started by Mahes, and guest hosting is Suganya.


*Last but not least, Sig came up with wonderful ingredient Tamarind for Jhiva of ingredient originated by Mahanadi.Only my chutney will be ending to her event


Note: if you are in diet like diabetic, Please omit the optional ingredients in idlis!

Comments

Dori said…
Sounds good, and It's instant... That's always nice!
Unknown said…
Yummy idlis Cham. u have created a unique recipe with ur secret ingredient! Thanks for participating in OS 2..:)

Hugs,
Siri
Kalai said…
Delicious idlis, Cham! Delicious use of wheat! :)
pnoasnidtiinvie said…
nice spin to a traditional south Indian preparation with the wheat rava! Gotta try it. I love whole grains!
Thanks for this recipe Cham!
Uma said…
wow, wow! 4 events with one shot or two shots! lovely entries, Cham! never thought of using wheat rawa for idlis. Thanks for the delicious recipe dear! Thanks for your wishes too!
FH said…
Those idlis are excellent Cham, wheat rawa ie Grits or bulgur, right?

I made your garlic cheddar biscuits for dinner, kids ate half of those already! They were yummy. Only change I made is to add 1/4 tsp Baking pd instead soda since self rising flour soda already. Thanks for the recipe, will link next week!:))
Vaishali said…
Have never tried wheat idlis before. Nice recipe, Cham. Both the idlis and the chutney are gorgeous.
Cham said…
Uma Total of 5 entries Uma :) Enjoy your vacation Dear...
Cham said…
Meeso: Thank you, yes no fermentation needed...
Siri: What a fun event u guys made it, i couldn't escape it :)
Kalai: Thank u Dear
A&N:yes, for those who couldn't leave idlis (diabetic patients), this recipe is such a nice treat. Thank u & welcome
Asha: Use of fine bulgur is ok but grit is corned based so "NO". I got a packet in indian grocery called wheat rava but looks so coarse/grainy and ingredient is whole WHEAT.
Glad the garlic biscuit has been devoured by ur little ones :)
Unknown said…
looks yummy.... fantastic entry...Thanks for this recipe Cham!
Rajitha said…
those idlies look great!! bookmarked it...will be passing on the recipe to my sis too
kamala said…
Bookmarked it Cham..Never made this..chutney looks so yummy.6 events are there..Still pending for me.5 in one!!! Great!!!
Laavanya said…
These idlis look great Cham.. so soft and perfect and I like the tang from the tamarind in the chutney :)
Sunshinemom said…
Thats a new recipe to me, and so quick! Definitely bookmarked:) Probably I could use it for the July MBP if the seasonings are taken as one ingredient:)
Rachel said…
So many events with this...

Look so soft!!
ranji said…
hooooooo..so many events in 1 go :)..damn smart...delicious idlis cham..i have some grits..maybe i can use it instead of wheat rava!!!
Andhra Flavors said…
Yummy idlis Cham, instant always comfort!
Unknown said…
wheat idlis..wow..nice entry..
Madhavi said…
WOW Cham, this is awesome entry. Idly and chutney looks super duper yummmyyyyyyyyyyyy, thanxxxxxx for sharing gal!!!!
Sujatha said…
Wheat idlis! I have thought of using wheat rava for idlis.. They look delicious! Instant and healthy, what more can I ask for! :)
I make these idlis using rawa, but wheat rawa is a great option.
Sum Raj said…
woooo fantastic idlies with fav chutney,,,its fabulous cham...healthy breakfast and also liked the 4 in 1...i recipe for 4 events...awesome....
Sounds really good!!!
Hey one doubt I have, my posts are not getting updated in Taste Of India, I dont know what the problem is, I have asked Sailaja but she seems busy, please help me dear....:)
ST said…
wow.......5 events with one shot... lovely entries, Cham! Making Idlis with wheat rava is new to me Thanks for the delicious recipe dear!It will be very useful to me...Will try soon..
oh wow cham..wheat idli is new to me, and thanks a lot for the recipe for instant idli..must try sometime soon (but i dont have an idli mold) :-) great entries!!
Sig said…
Never heard of wheat idlies... looks good Cham! And the Coconut + Tamarind chutney... yum... Thanks for the entry and kudos to you on managing to cover so many events with one post :)
Sailaja said…
Wow, I never heard about wheat idlies. Great entry Cham. Will have to try this different version of Idlies. Thanks for sharing
mitr_bayarea said…
Cham-

wheat idlis with coconut tamrind chutney looks delicious...enjoy.
cham
visiting after a long time and i liked you unique recipe with wheat idli... a must try for me !
Devi Priya said…
Another instant idli! Great chams, with wheat rava never tried it. Thanks for sharing.
Divya Kudua said…
idlis made of wheat rava..sounds exciting cham!!something new to me...great entry..and so many events in one shot huh..;-)
A_and_N said…
Hi Cham, we've started a food blog recently and were wondering if we could add you on our blog list.
A&N.
Unknown said…
Wow..all entries in one post.Loved the idli and chutney..i have to post my AFAM entry in two days...
Cham said…
A&N : with pleasure....
Unknown said…
Wow..so many events in a single shot..The idlies look too good cham..Perfect texture..Havent tried kodhumai idlies though..Thanks for the recipe
Anonymous said…
What a clever recipe cham! Nailed so many events at one shot. Great.
Beyond Curries said…
Believe me or not Cham, I have wanted to try this, since I made rava idli. I was wondering how the idlis would come using cracked wheat. Now that you have made it, I'm gonna try it out very soon.
Lakshmi said…
Wheat rava idli sounds very interesting..will try them.
Vani said…
Very interestng, Cham! Looks fabulous! Love the "instant" part the most :)
Deepa said…
This's fantastic. Thanks for the awesome recipe. ELiminating white rice and the cream of wheat (rava) instantly makes this a healthier idli. I am guessing this is cracked wheat? --Deepa
Cham said…
Deeba Yes you can do it with cracked wheat (but i would just run in mixer to make like rava. U can even find Wheat rava in any Indian groceries ...
Beyond Curries said…
I made these idlis with cracked wheat today for dinner Cham and it came out very well. I powdered the cracked wheat in the mixie and also added carrots, peas and grated ginger. Thank you very much for the recipe.
Beyond Curries said…
Sorry forgot one thing, Congrats for coming runner up in the contest.
Anonymous said…
hi....first time to ur blog....u have a great collection of recipes here.....do visit my blog when time permits....:-)
Anonymous said…
I just made these wheat idlis and we Absolutely LOVED them! Thankyou so much for this great recipe.
God bless you!
Rayna
Cham said…
Rayna:Thanks a lot Rayna trying this recipe and taking time to give your valuable input!
Anonymous said…
I dont have baking soda... is that fine,.... or do i need it ... can i substitue it with something else... please reply urgently.. thanks
Anonymous said…
hi this mary from sweden. nice blog yaar. it helps me lot. thanx a ton. my quiry about the baking soda. what is the difference between baking soda and baking powder??? both are same or .... please clear my doubts. expecting your reply
Cham said…
Anonymous: Baking soda can be replaced by baking powder by 1 tsp for this recipe.
The difference between the two:
Baking Soda:is pure sodium bicarbonate
Baking Powder:contains sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)+ acidifying agent (cream of tartar) + starch.
Both are leavening agent-used for baking to rise the food.

So baking powder contains baking soda but usually used in different recipes.
Anonymous said…
Nice post, kind of drawn out though. Really good subject matter though.