Kodubale & Chikkamagalur coffee

Not even knowing a single word in kannada, I married a Tamilian from Karnataka. Well, it was purely fun when I visited my in-laws place for the first time without knowing the local language.
But, as they were Tamilian, they all speak Tamil and the main cuisine flavor is from Tamil Nadu, but Kannadigas festival, food habits sticked to them. Consequence, they celebrate Ugadi and Tamil New Year!
I learned many kannadigas dishes from my husband :) Yes, he cooks with the purpose of showing to me! He showed /cooked all the food he loves, after fetching on the net.
My first year of marriage, I learned “Golli bajji/Mangalore Bonda”, later, the Avalakki , raggi modde, etc…yes, the list is keep growing now :)

Few years back, when we were on road trip for 10 days (only temples) that was a real pleasure to taste pure Karnataka food for first time in my life. Yes, from Gokarna, Dharmastala, Kollur, Subrahmanya, Udupi , etc…each and every places remain unique in history. Stunned to see the charity in Dharmastala – the meal they serve freely every day, hospitality, etc…Wow, no word to describe it, one of the famous pilgrimage spot for Kannadigas!

Karnataka is rich in culture & history. When, I asked my hubby what would be the famous food around: that was so spontaneous for him “ Davangare Benne Dosa & Chickmangalur coffee….
About Chickmangalur, beauty of nature include from Mountains to rivers, famous for the coffee crop!
Davangare famous for the buttery toped dosa!

But Kodubale is a popular snack in Karnataka, which we love a lot for the crunchiness. I got the recipe from here, which doesn’t have Maida. Yes, we really love crunchy snack! I would say, need little patience to roll the dough and make the round shape by hands. But all ur hard work is just pay off at the end.


 
Kodubale and Chikkamagalur filter coffee !

Print this

Ingredients:

  1. Rice flour: 2 cups
  2. Roasted gram/Dhalia/pottukadalai: 1/2 cup (ground into powder)
  3. Dry Chilli powder: 3 to 4 tsp or more
  4. Cumin: 2 tsp
  5. Hing: 1/4 tsp
  6. Salt: 2 tsp more or less (for us it was 2 tsp+ 1/4 tsp)
  7. Grated coconut (fresh): 1/2 cup but as i wanted to store it i used Coconut cream/powder : 2 tbsp
  8. Oil: 3 tsp ( heated )
  9. Oil: to deep fry

    Method:
    1. Ground the dhalia into powder , if using coconut ground into thick paste using little water.
    2. Mix all the dry ingredients from 1 to 6 , add the ground paste or dry coconut powder and heated oil (3 tsp)
    3. Mix well before sprinkling some water. Make a soft dough.
    4. Take a small ball out of the dough and roll like a smooth rod, to the desire thickness. Try to bring the end together and close tightly forming a round shape (like bangel) , wet the finger to seal the end.
    5. Heat a pan to deep fry , in medium low heat drop slowly the formed shape dough and fry until u didn't hear any sizzling (approx 8 to 10 min), turning once in midlle.
    6. Drain in paper towel, let it cool completely and store in air tight container.
Note: The coffee is freshly brewed coffee with chicory!

My Kannada snack is reaching SWC-Karnataka hosted by Anisheetu , originated by Laksmi at Taste of Mysore.

Asafoetida /Hing is an unique spice and have a distinctive flavor. A pinch of the spice gives an unique aroma and very commonly used only in Indian cooking! Well known for the digestive aid- cure cold… I just love the pungent and unique Indian spice “Asafoetida”. My contribution to “Think spice” event celebrating any spice for the first anniversary edition by Sunita.

Update: Veggie platter one of karnataka fellow blogger corrected The town name: which is CHIKKAMAGALUR not chickmangalur .. which in Kannada literally means, Younger Daughter's Town it her own word .. Thank you to let me know!


Comments

Arundathi said…
i love kodubale - we always called it Kola Vadai and i only learned recently that it was kodubale - whatever you call it, its delicious!
Unknown said…
looks perfect Cham.I love these..
kamala said…
Perfect tea time snack Cham.Love to have it.
Sujatha said…
Girl, you are killing me with your recipe:) Kodubale looks so crispy!I'm a coffee freak, and that coffee looks super delicious! I miss that flavorrful bubbly filter coffee in a dabara/tumbler :)

Hmm.. interesting background about Karnataka and your Kannadiga dishes!
Anonymous said…
Looks perfect.
karuna said…
perfect evening snack...specially when its about to rain!!!
ST said…
Looks delicious and perfect tea time snack.Its one of my favorite.
Vaishali said…
Cham: How lovely! I remember eating kodubale as a kid at the home of my dad's relatives-- he's a Konkani from Karwar. And I'm a sucker for that coffee!
Uma said…
so they call it kodubale in kannada, ha! I had a kannada friend in college, whenever I visit their home her mom used to make these for me. I never thought of asking the name! We call these as chegodi in Telugu I guess! Lovely snack with perfect filter coffee, Cham! Wish I was your neighbour.
sunita said…
Thank you for the lovely entry...the kodubales look so crisp :-)
anudivya said…
Hey Cham, that looks like murukku right? Man, those look delicious!
Lucky husband
Cham said…
Uma: When the food is tasty noone care about the dish name, huh? Yes, i too tasted something similar from my Andra's friend, guess it is made with rice flour only!
If u were my neighb, i would have keep knocking ur door for all ur chutneys & pachadi Dear!
Laavanya said…
Kodubale & Coffee look perfect Cham - so how do I get an invitation for teatime at your place ? :)

Btw, you can also send this to the Snack even hosted by Hima - http://snackorama.blogspot.com
Unknown said…
kodubale looks graet..yet to try them..nice coffee as well...graet post!!loved reading it!
Yasmeen said…
dear Chams:)
The frothy fresh coffee with crunchy kodubale,is an excellent pick for snacking. Good to learn more about you and your family.
Cham said…
Lavaa But she announced only baked snacks!
he he, u re always welcome at any time :)
Lavanya Raj said…
Lovely Tiffin Cham...Iam coming to your Home:)
Indian Khana said…
Wow this looks so gud...in Tamil Nadu too this prepare this...available in all the bakery and sweet shops in chennai.. ..but I dnt knw the name...as wht's there in name as long as we can eat all the yummy things ;) and the filter coffee looking so gud...great entry dear
jayasree said…
kodubale looks perfect and crisp. I always wanted to try it, but the work behind it always put me off. Yours is inspiring me to try.
Jayashree said…
Kodubale looks crisp and delicious.
SMN said…
Perfect cham nice treat i love filter cofee and kodubale is also my fav
Madhavi said…
Hummm perfect with tea and coffee, look divine, and delicious!!!
Sangeeth said…
looks delicious....i luved ur dabara set..remined me of my home and do u spk kanada now?its fun to be in a place where u cant understand wat they say.....
Cham said…
Sangeet: I speak "a broken Kannada" but understand well the language now.
At the beginning, I just smiled for whatever they asked me ...
Rachel said…
Now that is heaven.....I seriously want to have that glass of coffeee
Srikitchen said…
first visit to ur blog and it is very nice! the dishes are very perfect! do visit my blog often when u find time!
Swati said…
Sounds awesome..The coffee, the road trip, the meals..everything!!
Vidhya said…
I have a friend from Chikmangalur and she always brings coffee seeds, cardamom, cloves from her estate whenever she visits her parents. I love the coffee we make from her coffee bean - yummy
Usha said…
I have heard of kodubale but have never tasted it,yours looks yummy though..I love crunchy and savory snacks so this is something I would love to try soon ...:)
Deepthi Shankar said…
i love kodubale ... it looks lovely cham .. N just a small correction regarding, the city's name .. its called CHIKKAMAGALUR .. which in Kannada literally means, Younger Daughter's Town ..
Namratha said…
I'm feeling right at home Cham, awesome! :)
Cham said…
Thanks a lot everyone for ur encouragements
Veggie platter: thanks to point out Vegg Platter, I updated :)
Srivalli said…
whatever you call it ..its yummy..its a famous andhra savory too..and just when I want..I forgot the name..:)))...will let you what we call it when i remember..heheh..yours look so lovely cham!...I am sure it must have been fun while you are learning the lang!
notyet100 said…
have been to chikamangalur,.awesome place..cofee looks delicious..nice post..and great entry..hppy bloggin nd weekend,.ceeya///;-)
Dershana said…
Hi Cham, my first visit to your blog. while staying at bangalore i acquired a weakness ;-) for kodubale and nippattu. thanx for reminding me all over again :-)

saunter by my turf sometime :-)

http://thefootloosechef.blogspot.com/
Lakshmi said…
Superb entries..I am droooling here..Cham Thanks sooo much Cham for participating!
I saw these at Asha's blog and haven't got around to making them yet.:)
The food served at the Krishna temple in Udupi is also fantastic.