Ooey,Gooey sweet

After eating a spicy food like my Jalapeno poppers, I definitely need to cool my tongue with little sugar. What about you my reader you do the same? Well, as I said before we don’t have a sweet tooth.
Sweets are rarely ventured in my kitchen. I can say probably every Diwali! I don’t remember enjoying any Indian sweet or mittai from my childhood. Even my son and hubby share the same taste. Except only few Bengal sweets remain my favorite like the Kalakand.

Kalakand is milk based sweet made with fresh paneer (cottage cheese), can I say a cousin of milk Kova( Paalkova)! May be Paalkova doesn’t have any shape but the kalakand comes in square shape toped with pistachio nuts, just a feast for your eyes!
Well, I don’t have any intention of throwing a debate, which sweet is best . Simply I just want to indulge without any reason this sweet.

Of course the recipe is picked from Bong Mom’s cookbook. Only few ingredients are involved and made in microwave. I made in microwave once and the second time (yes, this sweeet never let me down) I prepared over the stovetop and the ricotta cheese is replaced by fresh paneer.

Important note: The essence is 1:1 ratio. Use the condensed milk can as a mesurement ustensil and stuff the empty can with ricotta cheese or fresh paneer!



Cooking method for Microwave
Time in microwave: 15 min or less

Ingredients:

Sweetened condensed milk: 1 can
Ricotta cheese or Fresh paneer: 1 tub (15 0z)
Green Cardamom: 5 pods unshelled & powdered
Unsalted Pistachio: 6 or 7 sliced into small pieces (decorating)

Method in microwave

Grease a square glass microwave pan.
Pour the condensed milk first.
Stuff the empty can with ricotta cheese- add the green cardamom powder.
Mix well and put in microwave.
Cook ON HIGH for 5 minutes. Watch out the mixture could boil so mix time to time with a wooden spoon.
Always keep an eye and cook another 7 to 10 min, it really depend of your microwave WATTS.
So when the mixture is started to thicken stop the cooking process and top with nuts. Let it cool and make a slice with greased knive.

Note: It may look thick when u cut it but will be moist inside or sticky , I think that is normal. Even Sandeepa mentioned on her post. Well when it taste heaven I don’t bother about shape :)

This Kalakand is made with paneer and over stovetop


Stovetop method cooking –I used homemade fresh paneer.
Cooking time in stovetop: 7 to 10 min (depend how much the paneer has moisture)

Ratio is 1:1
Follow the same ingredients list or replace ricotta with fresh paneer.

Make the fresh paneer and hang it for 30 min . U don't need to hang it for a long time, because the moisture will evaporate in cooking process.
Cook in nonstick pan and when the mixture starts to thick pour in greased square pan. Top with nuts and cut into square later when the mixture is cooled.


Third version with Non-fat evaporated milk (like me for those who want to control the sweet level)

Try with non-fat evaporated milk , use only 3/4 of can (it is very liquidy compare to condensed milk) use one cup of paneer and 1/4 sugar (that is my sweet level) It may take few more min to reduce to thick consistency.



I want to say CHEESE in a sweet way to my Dear Sri. She is Hosting MBP- cheese, originated by coffee. So hurry up guys, it is a cheesy event which everyone loves it! Let her prove that we can give a Gooey cheeesssssssssee pose for her event :)

Thanks Curry Leaf to mentionning SWC- Bengal hosted by Laksmi at Taste of mysore. My kalakand is reaching her Bengal event

Wish everyone a Great weekend!

Comments

anudivya said…
Awesome Cham... do you think I can substitute the condensed milk with evaporated milk and that way I can control the sugar that goes in?
Sounds very easy and I love milk sweets. Unlike you, I can live on desserts. So I am making this.
Cham said…
DivI tried with non-fat evaporated milk , i used only 3/4 of can (it is very liquidy compare to condensed milk) use one cup of paneer and 1/4 sugar (that is my sweet level) It may take few more min to reduce to thick consist.
ST said…
Its my favorite one ...kalakand looks mouth-drooling ,tempting and inviting...as I like sweets very much.Will try it for sure.Can we
use whole milk or evaporated milk instead of condensed milk as I don't get condensed milk here.
Cham said…
Sireecha As far i know, "lait concentré sucré" (sweetened condensed milk) is available at Auchan or other supermarket. I updated the post with evapora milk too.
Laavanya said…
I must try this with evaporated milk - looks perfect Cham!
ST said…
Thanks cham for telling me it is called lait concentré sucre till now i don't know.Will try now.
Finla said…
Wow you are in a cooking mood aren't you.
First it is spicy and now it this delicious sweet.
I am the opposite of you.
I like sweets, but then after having sweets i am dying to have something really spicy.
So i guess i will first have this sweet and then go for you pepers ;-)
mitr_bayarea said…
Cham-

Kalakand looks so inviting, I am sure that the sweetened condensed milk and adding fresh paneer will bring a great taste to it. Lucky you that you have no sweet tooth, unlike me who craves sweets.
Usha said…
Oh this looks so tempting and I have given up having sugary sweets...oh well rules are made to be broken I guess :)good one...
kamala said…
This is so tempting Cham...I have sweet tooth and obviously I love all sweets and especially the milk sweets..Great entry Cham!!!
Anonymous said…
OOOO Looks so tempting and delicious.
Unknown said…
I made something similar to your jalapeno poppers today Cham..And I agree it needs a sweet to follow..Thanks for the wonderful explanation..Will try it for sure..Sounds easy..
Uma said…
ooey, gooey! thanks for the lovely sweet dear! Of course,like you we don't have a sweet tooth too! but once in a while sweets will do, what do you say! kalkand sounds so easy. I'll ask my hubby to make these for my b'day (yeah, on that day I will be a just born baby who don't know how to cook), he he!
hi cham
just came back and when i saw the kalakand, i could not resist myself..they look just as they should be..sometimes i also make them and it is loved by all.
Deepthi Shankar said…
iam just like you when it comes to sweets .. enjoy very few of them N my hubby too is same so I rarely make sweets at home .. kalakand looks lovely cham
Unknown said…
nice one..Am going to try the Mw version!!
Lakshmi said…
Cham, I think the last method suits me too..will try it soon. Thanks for the recipe of Kalakand.
Vijitha said…
lovely cham! makes me crave for it... nice pics! I am gonna make this soon!
Cham said…
Happy cook Will typing this post, i was thinking that someone is gonna ask me if i am in a cheesy mood :)
I know many have sweet tooth , as we re spicy we digg first the heat !
Lavaanya & siree,kamala,apar Thanks
Mitr.Bay Poor gal
Ushamay be u ve to break it
Div vikra Thank you dear hope u enjoyed ur friday snack too :)
Uma My advance wishes Dear Spice baby. I didn't know that new born baby can eat sweet too :)
Uma said…
Hey Thanks for advanced wishes dear! My b'day is not this weekend but on 22nd (Monday). You really surprised me with your wishes. You're such a nice sweet (did I forget spicy?)friend.
Rachel said…
Yes definitely afte that jakpeno post..this is much needed.
Lakshmi said…
Just finished devoring Kalakand. Saved few for taking pictures. It was sluurrrrrp...Thanks Cham..
anudivya said…
Thanks for the insight Cham... I have tagged you for a meme on my blog. Have fun!
Indian Khana said…
Kalakand looking yummy...though am not much of kalakand fan ..am still drooling over this now...you are tempting me a lot to try this !! ...sweet entry for the event dear ;)
Pravs said…
craving for a sweet right now... and this looks like a perfect treat.
Siri said…
Oh my my! Thanks Cham for such a sweet post! this event got a lukewarm response uptil now..so naturally I can say that ur entry MADE MY DAY!!!

Hugs,
Siri
Srivalli said…
now this is the second one thats made..Tee also made the same one...looks great cham
CurryLeaf said…
Awesome,cham.If u do not mind,kindly send it to SWC:bengal as well at tasteofmysore
Man those look delicious! lovely post cham. Have to try your jalapeno peppers sometime.
Tee said…
Hey cham, guess what...I also made the same thing for the MBP event !! Great minds think alike , right ? Your Kalakand looks delicious!!!:)
Lakshmi said…
Cham, next theme for SWC is Bengal and I am hosting it. Do send your entry to lakshmi(at)tasteofmysore(dot)com Thanks :)
karuna said…
wowowwo, this kalakand looks so tempting. will try it for sure. have bookmarked it.
Vaishali said…
Lovely job, Cham. I would love to find a way to veganize this.
Illatharasi said…
Ooey gooey is too tempting ;)

Nice way to use condensed milk.... have it in the fridge, will try this!
Sunshinemom said…
Very tempting! I have a m/w recipe for this one in my samsung book but never really got around to making it yet!! I too used to relish only Bengali sweets but turning vegan has taught me that there are good dishes with jaggery too:) I have been shunning sweets too long, I think - I am drooling;)
ST said…
There is small treat waiting for u at my blog:)
Sum Raj said…
this is rich and creamy dessert...its duud peda...i used ot have it when i was in mumbai..miss them a lot :(
lubnakarim06 said…
Wow looks gr8. Nice entries to the events.
Swati said…
Bhishon Bhalo..which in bengali means too good!!
Unknown said…
Wow,a lovely dessert and many ways to try it..thats really cool cham
Shreya said…
Hi Cham, this is amazing. Stove top? This is definitely worth a try, the picture looks great and I am sure it tastes as good!
raaji said…
nice entry cham....love to try it....
Beyond Curries said…
Yes, you definitely need to cool of after eating such a spicy dish. This one is so easy to prepare Cham. I'll also try it.
bee said…
who cares about the shape, honey? these must've have been blissful. i love caramel anything. and this is so easy.
Anitha said…
Hi Cham,
New to your blog. But couldn't resist the yummy kalakand recipe. I love desserts & this one seems too tempting :-)

Anitha
Cham said…
Once again thank you each and everyone who took the moment to leave ur valuable traces...
Dori said…
Sounds great, and made with my favorite, sweetened condensed milk!
Sujatha said…
Ooooh Kalakand! Its indeed a feast to the eyes with those pistachio toppings :) Your M/W version sounds intersting Cham! I will give it a shot.. :)
Seena said…
Would love to try this once..lovely!
Richa said…
cham, ur sweets taste is like mine, i too would use 1/4 sugar :)
Shabs.. said…
Sometimes, how much i wish if the food from the screen can be eaten...After seeing the kalakand, Im having the same feeling!!:(...So delish....But im now controoling my sweet level....
Padhu Sankar said…
Looks awesome!Happy New Year!