Badam burfi and Moong dhal ladoo

Hope everyone had a wonderful Diwali. Thanks for the wishes!
Back home, I remember, Diwali sweets re planned well 2 months before. Oh yeah, one of the much waited festival of the year for us, we book in advance a sweet master (sweet wala). The list will contain at least 2 different sweets and snacks. They just come and make a huge batch in front of us 2 days before the festival. It is always fun to see how those people prepare 200 counts or more sweets in matter of minutes. Ah, those days, we are just allowed to taste only one from those big batches until Deepavali.
Now, I can make those sweets and snacks and didn’t get the same interest to eat :)
Next biggest thing for Deepavali is Firecrackers. It just scares me :( I hate that blasting sounds. So I didn’t miss those horrible war zone sounds here…
I share my sweets with my neighbor and friends, wear a new dress and celebrate in quiet manner here. Just to show my son and he should understand our tradition/culture. Well he is pretty much interested for the Trick Or Treat night!

Ok, coming to the badam recipe/almond fudge, other than stirring, stirring, stirring no other special skills are required!
The recipe, I learnt with my Dear Friend Hema. She was reputed to make some good Burfi in our group. If you fail to have a burfi consistency, you get a Badam halwa or if you succeed, you get the final result as Burfi!

Badam Burfi




Ingredients:

Almond/Badam: 1 cup
Sugar: 1 cup But I used 3/4 C as we like mild sweet taste.
Ghee: 2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp to smear the cookie sheet
Milk: 1/4 cup or less.

Method
Soaking the badam/Almond: Take a microwave bowl, add enough water to cover the almonds.
Microwave on high for one or two min (Until the water turns hot -Not Boiling point)- let the badam soak for 20 min. It is more easy to peel or even more easy to grind. Peel the skin and rinse the badam/almond once again.
Now grind the almond adding as little milk as possible. The less milk you use, the less time it takes to cook. You can make it a fine paste, but I love little grainy my burfi !
Take a heavy bottom pan, preferably non-stick.Put the 2 tbsp ghee, once it starts to melt add the ground almond and sugar.
Now, keep stirring, stirring without rest! Until the mixture turns like dough! The mixture will start leaving the side.
Grease a cookie sheet with little ghee. Drop the mixture and spread the mixture , take a rolling pin roll slightly to get a smooth surface or icing knife to smooth it.
Let it cool completely. Make a desire shape , or diamond shape with greased knife.

Note: The burfi has little amount of ghee, so it tend to stick a lot at the end point. Try to be patience if not add more butter or ghee!

The burfi can be kept outside for a week without refrigeration.

The slide show might give an idea what is the burfi stage!

**********************************************************


Moong dhal Ladoo or (Nei Urrundai) Payitham parru urrunde





Ingredients:

Moong dhal (dehusked):
1 cup or store bought Moong dhal flour!
Sugar: 1 cup but I used 3/4 (milder version)
Green Cardamom: 6 (remove the seed from the pod)
Cashew: 10 numbers broken into small pieces
Ghee: 1/4 cup + 2 tsp more for frying cashew and dhal


Method:
Add a teaspoon of ghee and roast the green gram dhal. Let it cool and grind into powder. Sieve to get a fine powder.
Grind the sugar and cardamom.
Fry the cashew with 1 tsp of ghee until golden brown.
Mix the green gram flour, sugar, carda and cashew together.
Heat the 1/4 cup of ghee , add one tbsp at the time in the mixture and make a ladoo. DO NOT POUR AT ONCE.
It could take less or more ghee... Try to make dry the ladoo- Less calories, if you add lots of ghee, it will be soft but take time to hard .

Yield: 8 medium size ladoos

Note: I used the store bought Moong dhal flour, fry for few minutes with little ghee and proceed the same way. It was much quicker and easier.

Sending this Deepavali post to Srivalli who is hosting JFI- Festival Treats. An event created by Mahanandi

The sweet treats are reaching Festive Food: Diwali celebration By Priti.


Comments

mitr_bayarea said…
Cham-

The burfi was perfectly cut and I love moong dhal ladoo, both have come out very well. I truly envy your son and hubby for enjoying all these treats.
anudivya said…
Those looks pretty neat Cham... Bet you had a great Deepavali.
Priya Suresh said…
WOwww fabulous Burfi..looks delicious...moongdal ladoos tempting me a lot...lovely clicks...
Unknown said…
Thanks for the recipes Cham.Am definitely going to try them.
CurryLeaf said…
Perfect Sweet Treats,I prefer badam burfi,but sure it looks lot of work.I am not a moongdal laddu person.Nice to know you enjoyed Diwali
Vidhya said…
I could feel the moisture of badam burfi. Moong dhall laddoo looks yum
Yasmeen said…
Burfi looks flawless,the slide show demo is very useful.I often make the Urad laddus,didn't even moong could be used to make laddus,thanks for the recipes,cham:)
badam burfi sounds very much like my burfi.. except the amount of ghee :P yours is less fat and you can have it as many as you want.. hehhe
Dori said…
Those sweets look awesome! It's funny you mentioned disliking the sound of the fireworks... That's how I feel about 4th of July, I have never been much into the fireworks and they are just too loud and make me nervous... I thought I was the only one :)
Usha said…
I have never tried moong dhal ladoos normally I make maa laadu, but sounds interesting will give it a try the next time :-)
the burfi and ladoos look awesome, Cham!! i am seriuosly craving for sweets now!! :-) DROOOL!!
Deepthi Shankar said…
looks sooo lovely cham .. I am new to laddoo though .. wishing ur family a Happy Deepavali
Unknown said…
Wow Cham, this is awesome looking Burfi, it is so neat and u have done like a pro
Recipeswap said…
Cham you made the Badam burfi seem so simple..looks so pretty too.
Lakshmi said…
Thanks for the recipes cham, I am always for Badam halwa and burfi..they are pefecto! in the pic
Sujatha said…
both sweets look great, Cham! That slide show is indeed helpful! Badam burfi is a must-try.. My daughter too is interested in her halloween costume than her Diwali costume..:)
Jaishree Iyer said…
Badam burfi look awesome!The burfi was perfectly cut and I love moong dhal ladoo,both are looking yum..Hope you had a wonderful diwali.
Purnima said…
Cham, these are two lovely sweets! The burfi looks perfectly set and soft too! I m drooling here!
Tks for sharing.
Kayal said…
Thanks for both the recipes cham, the pictures makes me mouth watering. Yummy!!!!!!!!
Sia said…
Drool....
and i too love quiet diwalis :)
Anonymous said…
Looks yummy and delicious.
Laavanya said…
Both look perfect Cham - thanks for the delicious recipes :)
Unknown said…
beautiful presentation of badam burfi..is tempting me to try it soonn..
kamala said…
As a sweet lover I couldn't resist Cham...Coming over to ur place to grab all these goodies
raaji said…
Vow!!! the burfis look like they are so soft and would melt out in my mouth...
Anonymous said…
My First time here Cham.

I love the sweets. I have never bought moong dal powder before. is it the yellow split moong powder, or the whole moong? Can I make the powder at home & make these?
Vani said…
Badam burfi looks yum! And does not seem too difficult to make. Thanks for the slideshow - that's so helpful. Happy belated Diwali, Cham!
Cham said…
Soma Welcome to my place. It is Yellow split moong dhal (we get the powder in Indian Grocery if u re in US). Or do as I mentioned, buy the yellow split moong dhal , fry, grind and sieve to get the powder! NOT THE WHOLE GREEN MOONG DHAL.
Pooja said…
mouth watering recipes cham. no wonder you family must have a joyful diwali eating all these goodies.
Vibaas said…
Burfis look perfect. Never had moongdal laddu before. Actually didn't even know there was such a thing. They look tempting too :)
Deepa Kuber said…
Lovely recipes.. i love badam barfi. it looks so soft and yummy.moong dhal ladoo is new to me. wil try that.
karuna said…
wowowo the sweets look perfect. i tried making kaju burfi. not satisfacrtory. but they tasted good.
Kalai said…
Ammaaaa!! Those burfis are semma super hit! They look perfectly soft in consistency. Moong dal ladoos look great too. Both are must try recipes! :)
Illatharasi said…
Burfi is too good.... love the entire description. Its easy to make after seeing yours;)

Ladoos are very tempting :)
Andhra Flavors said…
badam burfi looks like store bought one. you done a good job.
Raks said…
Wow,badam burfi looks so soft and perfect,and ladoos too look great!

I did made badhusha at home,I took the recipe from Jasu's blog...Here's the link :)
Anonymous said…
Happy Diwali dear, that looks so yummy, I would be glad to have your post as a recipe for my blog event, check the link for details of the event http://bengalicuisine.wordpress.com/2008/10/13/event-of-the-month-satisfy-your-sweet-tooth/
Uma said…
woow, what a slide show of burfi making. Fabulous. Thanks Cham for sharing these yummy treats. Hope you had a wonderful Diwali!
Divya Kudua said…
Cham..the burfi looks delicious and so pretty..had truck loads of sweets this diwali,so I might try it after some time..great recipe anyway!!
Superb Burfi. And maavu urundai (that is how we call it) yummy yummy. Melts in the mouth.
Unknown said…
wow..Both look so yummy..:)
Pavani said…
have something surprise on my blog...
Deepa Kuber said…
Cham this is an ans 2 ur quest abt my bittergourd pickle. Yes it is bitter, but its bitterness reduces a bit after keeping it for 2-3 days. more over if we add lime juice and salt, we dont feel that.it is automatically adjusted.
Srivalli said…
Cham, both the sweets are really delicious, thanks for sending them!
PG CakeCraft said…
Hi Cham, i really adore burfi and mung dhal ladoo. mung dhal ladoo is a Diwali speciality here in Malaysia & one can't miss it in any Indian houses.
Suganya said…
Hi Cham....
Two of the sweets are rocking.... Looks so good. Nice recipes. I also make them in the same way. YUM! YUM!
Mandira said…
delicious sweets and the pics looks superb!
DK said…
So when can i come home??? I am floating in my own drool here!
Cynthia said…
Thanks for the slide show, every helpful.
ranji said…
I know i am too late but then a very happy diwali cham....looks u had a gr888 time...u have a perfectly made and sliced badam burfi and delicious ladooooo...awesome!!!:)..i am happy to be back blogging...
Indian Khana said…
Both the sweets looking so delicious Cham...Life changes so many things over years ..it's not surprise we dnt like to eat all the sweets now :)..Thanks for the sweet entries.
Sunshinemom said…
I am going to join in the festivities at your home soon - everything looks so good:)
vandana rajesh said…
yummy cham burfi and ladoo together. Will definitely try it. Thks for sharing the recipe.
Rather belated Diwali wishes, Cham.
Happy to see you and family enjoyed it well.
Your burfi and laddus have turned out perfect.
Unknown said…
Wow Cham , I love Badam barfi so much :) Can u send me some? :)
Priya Suresh said…
Hi CHam...check my blog i have something for u..pls accept it..
Vaishali said…
My god, Cham, this is a real feast for the eyes. Both dishes look amazing!