Gingery Sweet potato soup

Past few days, the Mother Nature seems to be very furious. A non-stop rain soaked almost deep down the earth followed by a small earthquake this Saturday shook us. Every year, Californian can at least experience/feel one earthquake. You have some goose bumps until it stops trembling! But, we are used to it, nowadays, it become part of the life adventure!
To compensate the weather condition, I cannot deep-fry every day; once in a while it is perfectly fine! Soup would be a nice treat to the soul. Ah, when it comes to healthy thing, I am the only person who comes forward to eat and probably finish the rest. The two men of the house think it is a dieting stuff! But who cares as long I prepare to have it, I really go wild to try a variety. I bought some sweets potatoes in order to make curry! But the natural sweet orange flesh will definitely not please my palate; I will tend to balance with spice, which will dishonor the veggie! The only dish I don’t spice up is my soup/salad; I tried it and look that flashy orange color! Did u say no after seeing it?
Sweet poatato is a sweet tuber, holding all the goodness like Vitamins, fiber, beta-carotene, etc… The most important thing, if you are someone who watches the calories, you should hold on tightly, it is low carb!
To balance the sweetness of sweet potato, I added some ginger and one green chili to kick up. If you have a sweet tooth, or have a kid who love sweets, try the soup without spice of course, or like mashed sweet potato/Baked sweet potato French fries, they will certainly praise you! 


Ingredients:

Sweet potato: 2 num (medium size) –peeled and chopped into big size chunk
Leek: ½ cup chopped (optional but I love the leek in soup)
Ginger: 1 inch or 1 to 2 tsp chopped
Thai chili: 1 small (whole –if you don’t want spicy –you can fish it after it is cooked)
Vegetable broth or plain water: 2 cups or more

Method:
Throw all the ingredients in pressure cooker. Keep the stove in high flame leave 4 whistles. Once the pressure is released completely, open the lid, take out the chili or leave it your wish! Make a puree with the hand blender and season with salt, adjust with water if it is thick.

Serve hot in bowl with dollop of sour cream/Greek yogurt or cream (optional)! Garnish with any herb you have around, cilantro will be fine!
Voila, you have an healthy bowl of soup without sweating much in the kitchen!

Don’t wait Thanksgiving to give a try the sweet potato; it is available year around in the market and pretty cheap too! If you love sweet and spicy, the soup is for you!


The Orange color is reaching Aparna – who is hosting FIC-orange theme, a lovely colorful event created by Sunshinemom.
The healthy soup is reaching SWC-soup hosted by Neha , another event created by this wonderful blogger LG

My Sivarathri Greetings to my readers!

Comments

jayasree said…
Soup looks creamy and very appetizing. Lovely color and neat presentation.
Medhaa said…
This is something I have to try, I love sweet potato and the color is so inviting.
Kayal said…
Cham,
What a wonderful colour it is? Like to have a sip of this soup. Thanks for sharing.
notyet100 said…
this looks so so yum,..
FH said…
Beautiful soup, Cham! :)

I have never experienced Earth quakes, can't imagine and scary too.

Yeah, I tend to fry more in Winter than in Summer. It just feels good to eat fried food in cold weather! :D
Anonymous said…
The Soup looks so yummy and tempting Cham...Hmmm love to have some..
Nice and Easy Potato Soup. Looks very rich and a wonderful colour.
Vani said…
What a lovely color the soup has, Cham! Sounds delicious with ginger and green chily.
Deepthi Shankar said…
that looks very creamy & nice .. love pic cham
Nithya Praveen said…
Cham,wow this looks good,the color is so appealing.Perect for FIC orange:)Love the addition of ginger,good one:)
Pavani said…
That soup looks delicious. Adding ginger is interesting.
Paru ... said…
Love Ginger, love sweet potato..the combo must be mind blowing..Looks so comforting Cham..
Unknown said…
wooooooooooooooow yummmmy one more recipe bookmarked from you what a color love the recipe.
KonkaniBlogger said…
That looks really good! what a nice color it has got. Never had a sweet potato soup before.
Anonymous said…
Looks so perfect....and inviting too ;-)
Anonymous said…
Oh this one is gorgeous soup Cham. I guess the ginger add the zing!! I love it!! beautiful colors too.
Malar Gandhi said…
Creamy, inviting, YUMMM & lovely color you got there!:)
Yasmeen said…
Your houses must all be EQ proof to withstand the frequent shakes,amazing you got used to it.
Tasty soup,the ginger is a nice spicy complement with the sweetness of Potatoes :)
Recipeswap said…
low carb wow!Looks delicious cham.
Cham said…
Yasmeen:U re right! We have EQ seperate insurance and our house should be in the norm I guess!
kamala said…
Beautiful color cham..Like to feel mild earthquake..never feel it..
A_and_N said…
I love, love the colour and the picture! :) Great entry.
Cilantro said…
I have made Potato and leek soup...will have to try the sweet potato version of yours. Colorful soup looks inviting.

BTW...It rains in Seattle a lot but not heavily, I see it rains heavily in California. It was nice to see the heavy rain when we were there last week.
Usha said…
This soup looks so creamy and delicious, loved it ! Looking forward to trying this and soon:-)
lovely soup, very creamy and rich!..what a color !! good one Cham!
Unknown said…
This soup looks just perfect :)love it
Lakshmi said…
I love potato and leek soup and I can say it tastes delicious Cham. I loved the color of the soup
Bong Mom said…
that looks like a simple but tasty soup, enough to shake you up after the earthquake
delicious!!!! the pic is soooooooooo beautiful!!!!! I hope the weather has improved now....
Neha said…
The color came out so nice, its looking creamy...
I never experienced EQ, n don't know how come u r used to it..its scary..
Beyond Curries said…
That's an amazing color Cham. It looks very appetizing.
Vijitha said…
wow! so creamy n lovely cham.
Andhra Flavors said…
cham,
You post this recipe in perfect time. I have only sweet potato and ginger stock in my fridge.
karuna said…
I am so craving for that bowl of soup right now.
looks sooooo perfect.
CurryLeaf said…
Love the colour and the soup.Never ever tried sweet potato in a soup.Soo inviting the pic looks.I did not know there were earthquakes in CA!!I too love soups and yes,fry more in winter ;)
Dershana said…
It must be really scary to feel EQs so often. The only one mild tremor i experienced while at Chennai, had me thinking that it was my head that was reeling for some reason. It was all the yelping from my neighbours that made me realize it wasn't me that was shaking :-)That's a nice way of using sweet potatoes. Glad to see we share a love of spicing up sweet stuff.
Unknown said…
love the colur and perfect for the weather..i made a carrot soup with lots of ginger recently..love it..yet to post..
Priya Suresh said…
Wow wat a eyecatching dish...looks delicious n really superb presentation!!
Unknown said…
soup looks creamy & looks yummy..
Anonymous said…
Wow...this looks so good! Hearty and warm! I know weather in California has been so bad the past couple of weeks!
Shama Nagarajan said…
lovely spicy soup...yummy
Aparna said…
I am not a fan of soups (though I am having them more often these days) but your soup looks irresistible even to me.
Thanks Cham, for sending it in to FIC orange.
suvi said…
I love sweet potato..in fact I make a sweet potato soup for my lil one with carrots. The addition of ginger must make this so flavourful!
Premyscakes said…
It is so inviting and l just love the color and the way u have presented it.
Srivalli said…
Thats really such an awsome colour for a soup cham!..hope you are enjoying the rains..:)))...
Unknown said…
Wow never tried Sweet Potato after coming to US. I too would like to spice it up . But didnt know where to start. Nice suggestion with Ginger and chilli. I too get tempted to deep fry, but then settle it with soup :)
Vaishali said…
Ginger and sweet potato sound like a marriage made in heaven. What a super and delicious soup, Cham!
AnuSriram said…
Wow... thats an inviting soup with a lovely colour.. I have something for u in my blog.. Pls accept!
Dori said…
Wow, really simple but sounds great! This must be good during a cold, too!
Preety said…
i love sweet potato, i tried it in so many forms but not as a soup yet..that is the perfect orange colored soup..looks delicious ans perfect for this rainy weather
Uma said…
we are experiencing the same dull weather here too! Waiting for the rains to go away so that I can start gardening! As for the earthquakes, I got used to them too as we get such quakes frequently when we were living in Japan! I never experieced them here in the part of CA where I live! Ok this goes on and on, so stopping now!:)

Ginger and sweet potato are such a nice combo. Love the color of soup. So bright and refreshing.
Varsha Vipins said…
woah..what a color Cham..I fell in love with this dish..slurppp..:)
oh my!! looks gorgeous... very nice pic.
Red Chillies said…
Earthquakes, now that must be very scary. The soup looks so creamy and delicious.
Purva Desai said…
I am not a great fan of Sweet Potato, but ur soup will definitely change my opinion......looks sizzling and delicious
Raks said…
Picture is really stunning and soup looks deliciouso!!
Vikis Kitchen said…
Soup looks delicious dear.
Seena said…
Looks so beautiful and attractive! hm, should try.. :)
Rathna said…
Nice recipe Cham. Awesome pic :-)
Shivali said…
Yum sweet potato soup.So innovative.
Great click.
vandana rajesh said…
The soup looks so nice and creamy cham...love the color.
oooooooozzz soup looks so creamy and yummy.
vidhas said…
Very lovley clour and looks creamy. Perfect for the events.
the click is awesome....n it reminds me of pumpkin soup :)
Rachel said…
Love the thick consistency of the soup....
Sujatha said…
Wow.. that looks super delicious! Sorry, I missed a couple of your yummy posts..

Earthquake? that sounds scary.. I've heard a lot about california earthquakes.. Hope you're fine and take care Cham!
Hi Cham
That was nice innovative thinking...and yes, i can imagine the taste..I would have loved it..i will try, too !
Chutneytales said…
What a lovely color,Cham..Soup looks delicious..I like the ginger twist in it :)