Masala Cheeyam

Chettinad region belongs to Sivaganga district in Southern part of Tamil Nadu, which include Karaikudi town and 74 other villages. The Vyasyas (now known Chettiar) are well known for trading and money lending. They migrated and settled down in Sivanganga district, which is a dry region in South, Tamil Nadu. Nagarathar or Nattukkottai chettiars(translated :people with palatial houses in the countryside) are the majority people in the region and the wealthiest among Chettiars.
Due to different opinion among Vyasyas , they splited in subdivisions (subcaste). Vyasyas are strict vegetarian but some subdivisions are not. The spoken language is tamil and Telugu (for some subcaste)
Chettinad is reputed for many things: the mansion (marble and Burma teak are mainly used through out the mansion), cotton sari ( Saris with bold color & checked pattern), temple like Pillayar patti rock cave temple and of course for their unique spicy culinary flavor.

Personally, I like the distinct flavor of the cuisine, combine with lots of fresh spices. When it comes to Chettinadu dish I always refer to Solai’s True Chettinad. One of the experienced blogger, her blog contains some rare Chettinadu dishes that we could never find in any restaurant. She started her blog to help out her newly married daughter. I can say we re blessed to have you around Aunty. I picked one of the Chettinadu tiffin items: Masala Cheeyam. She says: If you are uncomfortable making medu vadas, this one will never go wrong. You don’t need to pay any attention for the batter like for vadas , it will not suck any oil and the batter can be stored well in fridge for 2 days! It is absolutely true, the cheeyam didn't suck any oil and was very crispy from outside and soft inside! I can rename it medu vada for dummies! I picked for chutney her cilantro chutney/Khotamalli thokku.

When it comes to authentic , I don't like to change anything when I do for first time! If you want to serve only for 2 adults, halve the recipe or the dough stores well for 2 to 3 days!



Ingredients:

Raw rice: 1 cup
Parboiled rice/ idli rice: 1 tbsp
Urad dhal: 1 cup
Sabudana/Tapioca pearl: 1 tbsp
Salt:according ur taste

Soaking:
Soak all the ingredients in plenty of water for 1 hour.
Grind into smooth paste adding little by little some water (the dough should be neither thick like for vadas nor runny) Add some salt & remove in a bowl.


Seasonning for the dough

Onion: ½ cup minced
Green chillies: 4 num
Curry leaves:a sprig
Grated coconut: 2 tsbp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Urad dhal: 1 tsp
Oil: 1 to 2 tsp

Heat a small pot with oil and add the mustard seeds and the urad dhal. When they start to splutter add the onion, green chillies and curry leaves and fry until they turn translucent. Add the coconut and fry few seconds. Add the seasoning to the dough and mix well.


To Deep fry

Oil to deep fry

Heat the oil in Kadai (or deep fryer), make a small balls from the dough and drop slowly into hot oil and fry in medium heat. When they are cooked, drain in tissue paper and serve hot with any chutney!

I served with her cilantro chutney those masala cheeyam.


Thanks Aunty once again sharing some authentic Chettinadu dishes!


Sending to RCI-Chettinadu Vegetarian Cuisine started by Lakshmi and hosted by Foodyguru

Comments

Suganya said…
This is my fav. Looks so good. Nice recipe. I also do it in the same way but never tried using sabudana in my recipe. Will try it soon. YUM!
Unknown said…
they look so crispy and tasty...:)
Nithya Praveen said…
Wow..looks wonderful cham! I hvnt heard abt this dish at all....i remember Chuyan/Suyyan(a sweet) which looks sumtng similar...this is sooooo heavenly:)
Medhaa said…
They look perfect, will go well with a cup of tea
Sunshinemom said…
I made this when I had called my friends over at Navratri the year before last - it was very tasty, but mine took a lot of oil and I never repeated it again. I think yours has got less of urad dal which is why it did not absorb oil much - will try it this way again. Thanks for the links - will check up now:). Your cheeyams look awesome - hot of the appakaaral:)
looks lovely! will try it.. seems easy to prepare too. perfect for a sunday snack.
KonkaniBlogger said…
Wow, these look great..Perfect golden n crispy with that chutney..
Vibaas said…
Wow, that looks yum. Never heard of masala cheeyam. We make sweet cheeyam for Krishna Jayanti. Perfect for this weather!
Varsha Vipins said…
They look so nice n crispy Cham..reminds me of Bhaji..lovely..:)
Lakshmi said…
Crisp and nice perfect for evening snack.Delicious entry Cham.
Unknown said…
one of my fav. snack looks so tempting and nice color too cham when ever my medu vada batter becomes little watery and icould'n give a vada shape that time i make these
Andhra Flavors said…
cham,looks perfect. I love the way of presentation.
Deepthi Shankar said…
wow, I has never heard of these, they look fab. I was planning to make chettinad biryani for the RCI event but I couldn't make it this time .. I love chettinad cuisine
Unknown said…
I always have problem with medu vadas, this is perfect recipe for me, will give this try..
Presentation is just too tempting
:(.
Perfect !
Unknown said…
this is a lovely recipe and quite new to me..looks very delicious..
jayasree said…
Looks absolutely yummy. Liked your presentation.
Raks said…
Have never tried before,would love to try this! Bookmarked to try:)
Anonymous said…
Thankyou dear for making the chettinad items more famous.Attended lot of chettiar weddings this week and have learnt many new recipes .Eagerly waiting to get some time to prepare those and share the recipe with you all
Purva Desai said…
Currently I am holidaying in India and exploring various parts of India and was privileged to enjoy Chatinad cuisine in Chennai.....masala cheeyam looks soft, crunchy and delicious....
Priya Suresh said…
Masala seeyam looks prefect, crispy, loved the addition of sabudana, yummy they r!!
Anonymous said…
Bookmarked,and soaked the rice..wht else can i say??
Dershana said…
My maternal folks are the veggie chettiars, and I've always loved chettinad cuisine. Ur cheeyam has come out perfect. I too love solai's blog.
Finla said…
Chetinad cusine is new to me, yah i want to her blog and it si full of authentic recipes, it is like a treasure house there isn't it.
Never heard or had cheeyam, looks so yumm and i love the way you have prsented it.
Kayal said…
This one my Mom prepares in a different way. Will try to post it soon. Yours looks so delicious. I also refer to solai aachi everyday for some or the other recipes.
FH said…
After I read Linda's post, I came to know about Solai's blog is Chettinadu cuisine, I just didn't remember it before!! Stupid me!! :D

Cheeyam looks fab, I will try. And I am surfing Solai's blog, love to more dishes for Chettinadu, specially non-veg dishes! :))
Usha said…
I have never heard of masala cheeyam, only the sweet ones...this looks wonderful,loved your presentation !
Vikis Kitchen said…
wow , what a shape and color... I couldnt control my laughter on reading that comment 'methu vadai for dummies' . Chettinad cooking is really yummy. waiting for the round up:)
ranji said…
WOW!!!.only chettinad dish i have tasted is chettinad style chicken curry..didnt explore beyond that..i am sure i will love it..this one is very new to me..looks just like vada...i have to chk her blog for the variety of dishes ..:)
notyet100 said…
this looks interestin,..:-)btw thanks for the event calendar,..i always keep comin back there to check the event going on in blogosphere,,,:-)and ya if possible do include my event too,..ceeya,.:-)
Laavanya said…
This sounds fabulous.. have not tasted before. Looks golden & perfect - must be awesome with the chutney.
AnuSriram said…
That looks delicious! This goes directly to my "Must try recipes" list..
kamala said…
Again some net work problem in ours...Couldnt bloghopping..Amma used to make this without sabudana..We call kara vadi..Deicious cham!!!
CurryLeaf said…
Wow.Have heard of this,but never tried.Love the recipe and the pic looks awesome.Love the info on Chettiars.I love the spicy food too.Yes,we must never change atleast the first time an authentic recipe.Looks awsome and mouthwatering
Anonymous said…
wow haven't heard of this one...esp. with sabudana in it. Looks gorgeous & very very appetizing.

Nice info...
Bong Mom said…
Looks so perfectly crispy
Prema Sundar said…
Looks sooo tempting.... perfect for an evening snack. love chettinadu dishes very much and have bookmarked this. thanks
Vaishali said…
Cham, what a delicious recipe. I love the picture!
Recipeswap said…
I have never seen this before.good entry.
Anonymous said…
Looks perfect Cham. Delicious golden brown color crust. Wonderful peresentation too. And like always I like the template.
Vani said…
Looks crisp and delicious, Cham!
Archy said…
Looks crispy and yum !! Love wadas!!
Varsha Vipins said…
cham cham..:)pls trail back for an award..:)
Dori said…
Hey, that looks super tasty! I want some!
Cynthia said…
I am distracted (in a good way) by all the love on this blog :)
suvi said…
never heard of these, but this is perfect for an evening snack. Will definitely try these.
Anonymous said…
Hi ..
First time to ur blog ...Great one ..
Masala cheeyam looks so nice
love
veena
vidhas said…
Simply superb cham. Picture looks tempting.
Hey very differently presented and nice too..
I have never heard of this before. It does sound like uzhundhu vadai but the sabudhana in it is unusual.
A_and_N said…
Wow, I dunno anything about Chettinad cuisine. This looks so good!
Thanks Cham for the wishes :)

n these look like aloo bonda...but way better tasting I am sure :)
Rajee said…
Lovely to eat it for the winter with a hot tea.
Unknown said…
Cham that looks absolutely delicious :) Crunchy and tasty :) Love the presentation on Idli stand :) with the coconut chutney ball :)
Sum Raj said…
looks crispy and nicely presented..btw good information too
karuna said…
never heard of these before. they look really good. nice and crispy.
Unknown said…
Hi Cham, I have a surprise for you in my blog:)
Dibs said…
Lovely snaps! I saw this in Solai's blog and was wondering whether to make it for RCI Chettunadu...and then mom settled on takkali rasam!!
Premyscakes said…
Looks yummy. I too love them so much.
vandana rajesh said…
These look yummy Cham. Have never tried them before. Feel like having them for tea now:)
get something and enjoy reading in mine....
Cilantro said…
Looks soooo crispy. Nice click. I love chettinad cuisine. Amma makes them often during rainy days and sometimes with idli batter.
Gita Jaishankar said…
THanks for sharing such an authentic Chettinad dish Cham :) Its very new to me..I should simply try this one :)
mitr_bayarea said…
Cham-

It has been ages since I read ur recipes, will get caught up soon. Very nice chettinad based masala cheeyam, nice intro for ths dish too.
Vibaas said…
Hi cham, have something for u here http://vibaas-world.blogspot.com/2008/02/morkuzhambu-south-indian-kadhi.html
Unknown said…
Thank you so much cham for giving me right name for Kohlrabi and right spel for noolkol
Raaga said…
this looks very nice... I also like the veg food of Chettinaad :)
DK said…
Did anyone tell you that you are a torture to anyone trying to diet! My diet diary hates youuuuuuuuuu!

My tongue loves you though - and so do my eyes! They both have been instrumental in me drooling!
Miri said…
Really tempting recipe - thanks for posting!
Preety said…
They look so perfect cham..i never knew about this cuisine b4..got so much info from your post and the links given ..
Yasmeen said…
I knew only recipe from chettinad,the chicken.The masala cheeyam with the cilantro chutney looks very appetizing:)
Uj said…
Hearing about this for the first time.. Looks yummy :D..Loved the new header too..
veggie belly said…
Gorgeous! They look golden and yummy!
Paru ... said…
Cheeyam looks superb Cham..Great recipe. I luv Sabudana in this, a must try..
Vijitha said…
My fav one! urs looks so nice cham.
Swapna said…
Looks crispy & sure it will taste great.
Vikis Kitchen said…
Lovely recipe.
Cham can u visit me now to see a different method to make poratta.
I m much inspired by ur poratta..
Hope u like this version too:)