Puri and masala

Match made in heaven or earth? I don’t have an exact answer for this question. I am neither opening a debate. But men/women created food matches like bread & butter, puttu with kadalai curry, kichdi and kadi, rabadi & jilebi, puri & srikhanth (in North) Puri and masala (in south), etc. The list is never ending story around the world. The matchmakers remain unknown but their culinary matches tickle your tongue forever. Whether you are kid, adult, foreigner, you would have come across one of these combo in Indian recipe book, hotel menu card or even in your mom’s kitchen. The puri and potato masala would be a comfort food if you were still young, sorry if you feel “older or conscious” become uncomfortable because of the deep fry goodness! The masala is the most popular match for those deep fried puris! The matching jodi is reaching Made for each other event created by Ashvada Not much complicated to make such a complete dinner, I am sending to Siri who is hosting Recipes for the rest of us: Dinner created by Ramki.


Puri and potato masala




Recipe yield for 2 adults serving!
Print

Recipe for potato masala:

Ingredients
Potato: 3 medium 
Onion: 1 medium 
Green chilis: 5 to 6 num 
Ginger: 1 tsp minced 
Turmeric: ¼ tsp
  Besan flour (optional): 1 tbsp (mixed with little water) 
Tomato (optional): 1 small
  Chilli powder (optional): ½ tsp Note: I didn’t use any tomato and chilli powder (which is totally optional, in Tamil Nadu, the potato masala doesn’t contain both of the ingredients) 

  Seasoning: 
Oil: 1 to 2 tsp 
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Urad dhal: ½ tsp 
Bengal gram/ channa dhal: 2 tsp
Curry leaves: few
Garnish: Cilantro: few leaves minced

 Method: 
Boil the potato until fork tender (can pressure cook with wnough water and leave 2 to 3 whistle) Easiest ways is peel and dice at same size and add enough water to cover. Cook in microwave HIGH for 8 to 9 minutes. Drain the water and mash little coarsely with back of the fork! Heat the oil in a pan, add the seasoning one by one, when they start to crack. Add the onion, ginger and green chilies. Fry until translucent. Add the mashed potato, turmeric and adjust the salt. Pour the besan flour mix in water, and add at least ½ cup or more water. U can make little thinner the gravy will thick very quickly! Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with puris or even crispy dosa! 


  Recipe for puris:

Ingredients

Atta/ wheat flour: 1 cup 
Semolina/rava: 2 tsp 
Salt: ¼ tsp or more 
Water: less ½ cup to make dough

  Oil: to deep fry

 you might need less than ½ cup of water to make the dough. The dough should be hard not loose like for chapatti/roti. So make sure you use less water. 

  Method: Mix the three ingredients in a bowl. Add the water slowly and mix it. Once it comes together, knead 5 minutes and keep covered. Note: If the dough is resting for long time, The puris suck oil and the result is OILY puris. you should make immediately. 
 Keep the wok/Kadai ready in stovetop with enough oil to deep fry Take a small balls (gooseberry size), roll without using any flour (if stick use little oil). It should not be thin, roll slightly thick! Drop slowly in oil and with a spoon or strainer (spider spoon) try to press down the puri in oil. They will start to puff. And try to turn slowly. Both sides should be fried. Take out and drain in paper towel. Serve with potato masala. 

  Tips to make puris. Do not rest the dough for longer time, result will be oily puris. Make the dough little harder not sticky like for roti. Don’t use flour when it sticks, use little oil – The flour will spoil the deep-frying oil. Press slightly once u drop the puris in oil until it puff The oil should be hot, but in medium heat.

Comments

Unknown said…
this used to get featured every Sat morning in my house. Looks too inviting Cham. And how have you been? Long time!
FH said…
I am droooling! Suddenly it got so cold and rainy here, I need some of those now. Poori masala looks delish too.
Love your tips, dipping the dough in flour is bad thing to do when you are making Pooris and Obbattus! :D
Deepthi Shankar said…
I didn't knoe that dipping in flour is not that good .. I loved the masala.. quite different from what we make
Anonymous said…
Yummy Looking... Nice clear pic... You got me thinking this for weekend....
Priya Suresh said…
Fluffy puri looks gorgeous, its quite long i had puris, coz my hubby:(, he is antipuri eater..lol..masala looks simply delicious..
yeah poori and masala are a match made in heaven, seriously!! looks yum.
Sujatha said…
Wow, my favorite comfort food! A typical weekend breakfast at our house.. looks delicious..
Varsha Vipins said…
Lovely Puri's..looks gorgeous Cham..Actually it was such a useful post..Besan in gravy adds to taste?n also Rava is added to make puri crisp??
I cant stop drooling..:D
Dori said…
I like the tips for making the puris. I was actually going to make some tonight... Now I have some great tips!
Cham said…
Varsha The Besan brings the thickness to gravy (is totally optional) but works well If u do for a crowd/party or if u ve really one potato (hotel chef techn)! Semolina makes crispy the puri and the puff puri stays longer in shape!
Unknown said…
I think it match made in your kitchen :)
Puri and aloo combo are best thing ever. looks yummy...
Lakshmi said…
You tempted me to make pooris :D I think their match is made by us coz even I love this combination :)
A_and_N said…
Its been ages since I ate puris! Sigh. I'd love to eat some now!
Usha said…
Definitely a great match, looks fantastic :-)
Anonymous said…
It's a match made both in heaven & earth. The best joDi ever!
jayasree said…
At home, this was the eternal combo. I don't remember if amma ever made any other side than potata masala for puri.

The plate of puri and masala looks absolutely delicious.
Unknown said…
love this combo..i send pooris for he event too..loved your tips..
Srivalli said…
Thats a drooling combo cham...great!
Unknown said…
Wow.. looks yummy & delicious.. nice combi..
Chutneytales said…
Cham,Im drooling here...Poori masala is irresistable..You have made it the exact way how we make at home :) Perfect entry for the event..
Lavanya Raj said…
Cham this is absolutely a heavenly combo. Looks so Perfect.

I add a pinch of sugar in place of rava.

I hope tomm..this is going to be our Break Fast.
Anonymous said…
Well poori and potato is a marriage made in heaven,nothing can beat this combination
looks very inviting,but i know we aren't actually invited (sigh......lolz)
Anonymous said…
Thats a fav combo Cham !! And yours look real yummy..great picture.
kamala said…
Perfect combo..though my kids love to have with keema curry..I too make the same way without adding tomato.
Vibaas said…
Looks perfect :) it's an all time favorite at our house.

I have sent in the same thing for this event :D
Miri said…
Let me tell you, if that puri bhaji tasted as good as it looks - then it won't make a meal for two adults in this house!! ;) Yummy!
Unknown said…
wow that arealy best combo perfect for the event looks so inviting cham
Siri said…
Indeed its a 'match made in heaven' Cham and thanks for sending such a yummy entry to RFRU: Dinner. :)) I am literally salivating on ur pic!

How have you been? Hope you are doing good.

Cheers,
Siri
Namratha said…
Haha, so true Cham, no one can answer that question!! But this combo is an all time favourite and as long as the tummy is happy, who needs answers right? :D
A winning couple in our house. My children and my hubby all like this combo very much.
Raks said…
I love puri,masala and all time favoritte for the whole family!
Lovely picture:)
Dershana said…
Crispy looking poori and yummy curry, cham! love this combo anytime but rarely make it 'cause we all tend to gorge on it ;-)
notyet100 said…
yummy combo,.:-) mine fav,..u reminded me to prepare pooris,..its been long time,..:-)
Unknown said…
Too Perfect.Love this combo and its a weekend feature.I must add,I avoid deepfried items but puris are always welcome.Tips are helpful Thanks
Unknown said…
Thanks for the semolina addition advice,I did not know that.ITs very helpful.
Vani said…
Always a winning combo, that! I never really took to poori and srikhand or poori with any other sweet dish for that matter. Looks great, Cham!
Uma said…
Who can resist this yummy combo? Looks lovely and mouth-watering.
This is my all time favorite! The tips are really helpful! Looks delicious!
Bong Mom said…
I need some now, wyahhhhhhhhh !!! I like the masala also and my tummy is seriously grumbling
Sum Raj said…
woo its tempting me..will do it tonite...
Varsha Vipins said…
Thanks Cham..I just had the divine combo now..am full..so not drooling now ..lol..:D
Recipeswap said…
This is my fav combo.love it.
Deepa Hari said…
Puri masala looks lovely Cham...a classic dish...Pic is very inviting...i am all for it.
vidhas said…
Poori looks Gorgeous. My husband likes this so.. much. I also have in my draft, will post later. YOu have something cham come and take it dear.:-)
Andhra Flavors said…
ohh I love puri. Iam drooling.
Kayal said…
This is an excellent combo and I love it so much. I prepare it the exact way as you do, but for masal I don't add the besan flour. Good One.
Sia said…
IMHO, one of the best combi breakfast:)
Srikitchen said…
wow! good combo!
i too try it frequently at my home!
Vikis Kitchen said…
This is the combination I prefer a lot. with very little spices , the curry becomes delicious for me.
Tips on puri is much useful dear.
Unknown said…
poori and masala...awesome combination..and i always add tomato Cham...and have never used gram flour,which I have tasted in friends place,and it tastes yum...

And,I think only last week was thinking y u have not changed the BG,and here it is...really a good job..hats off to you Cham
Madhavi said…
Hummm that's inviting Cham, look delicious and love ur new header!!!
Laavanya said…
My favorite - anytime of the day... I used to love the puri-channa combination as a kid but nowadays I like the potato masala... i don't use tomatoes or chillipowder either.
Unknown said…
Its indeed the favorite combo and match made in heaven :) I too avoid dippihng flour while making even rotis, only when the water content is more, I do it. My pooris never fluffs up though, I think I am not rolling it evenly . I dont make pooris often, maybe once a year. But the Masala is an all time favorite here. I make it almost every other day.
Suparna said…
love puri and masala! that is one of the bestest breakfast ever. great pics and handy tips too. Thanks.
TC