Turkey berry gravy / Sundaikkai puli Kuzhambu

Some recipes fade away from our memories in time period. Either you hate or don’t get in abundance all year around, result the veggie made appearance rarely in the kitchen. Like this one: Turkey berry, scientifically know as Solanum torvum, is a perennial plant could be easily invade wet or dry places. Well know as Sundaikkai in tamil, Usthikaya in telugu, pea aubergine and many more names …






The flower is white and turn later into a small, round and green berry.
When I saw this turkey berry in my local farmers market, I couldn’t ignore despite the high price tag!
The berry is well known for the medicinal value in Tamil Nadu: killing stomach worms, relieving colds and curing ulcer.
Sundaikkai tends to ruin your palate with the natural bitter trace, to remove the bitterness the veggie is soaked in curd and sundried for later use. Sundakkai vattal (dried) kuzhambu is authentic gravy in Tamil Nadu.
For my palate, the bitter is better! Personally, the fresh veggies are not bitter at all! Perhaps if you are lucky enough to find this turkey berry, try it!>Note:
the gravy is tangy, spicy and should be slightly oily; adjust the tamarind level low if u cannot tolerate the tanginess! 




Sundaikkai puli Kuzhambu

Ingredients:

Sundaikkai/Pea aubergine/turkey berry: 1 cup (take only the berry wash and slightly smash it)
Tamarind: 1 small lemon size (Indian lemon size) or (US Key lime size)
Coconut: ¼ to ½ cup grated
Chilli powder: 1 tsp
Coriander powder: 1tsp
Turmeric: ¼ tsp
Salt: according ur taste
Gingelly/sesame oil: 2 tbsp (u should use this oil to get a better taste)

Seasonning:
Gingelly/sesame oil:
1 tbsp
Curry leaves: few leaves
Pearl onion: 10 num
Garlic cloves: 5 num
Mustard: ½ tsp or if u have Vadagam use 2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds: ½ tsp

Method:

Soak the tamarind in warm water or microwave with enough water for 1 min. Once cooled extract the pulp by adding a cup of water.
Clean the pearl onion and garlic.
Grind the coconut into smooth paste.
In tamarind water, add the chili powder, coriander powder, and turmeric and mix the ground coconut, now adjust the salt level, gravy thickness by adding water.
Heat a pot with oil, fry the slightly smashed turkey berries until they turn pale and brown!
Remove the veggie and start by the mustard seeds , once popped add the fenugreek , followed by the pearl onion, garlic and curry leaves. When they turn slightly brown, pour the tamarind mixture.
Let the gravy boil for 10 min or the oil will start to float on top!

Switch off the stove and enjoy with steamed rice and papad!
Tip: if u feel the gravy is still too tangy, add a small piece of jaggery at the end.
The gravy is very easy to put together but depend someone taste level , to like it or not!

Comments

Cilantro said…
I love the Kuzhambu for the tangy and bitter taste. Looks great.
Wow - looks so yum... I have no idea of this berry, but would love to taste it..
Gita Jaishankar said…
Nice presentation Cham...I always have dried sundaikkai in my pantry...this adds a nice bitter flavor to the gravy :)
Lakshmi said…
We get this in Singapore and whenever I see them I wonder what they are! now I know :) what to make out of them. Curry looks spicy and delish.
Vani said…
I don't think I've seen this berry before. Such a pretty looking thing, right?
Anonymous said…
Hey, where do you get these in the US? I loooove these.. my sister said that in Bombay she gets these and it is now as thai-eggplants or something like that..please tell me where do you get these in thw US..

Thanks muchos,
Anu
Raks said…
I like sundaikai only in vatral form,still remember my childhood,if my mom cooks this,I will literally cry to eat :P But now since I had a quite long time back,feel like eating this tangy Kuzhambu :) Very nice recipe!
Cham said…
Anu: I got in farmers market(Bay area-CA), most of the farmers are Asian. Check in any Asian stores (US) as Pea aubergine/turkey berry , Thai people use a lot too.
Veggie Belly said…
I had no idea that sundakkai had an english name! this is one of my favorite dishes! looks yum!
ST said…
Looks very delectable and yumm...I don't think I've seen this berry before.But now would love to taste it...
Hi cham,
kulambu looks yum...u get sundakkai in US?
By mistake ur blog link is missed in my awrd list...pls check it...thanx so much for ur quick comment:)
Raaga said…
I made vatha kuzhambu on Sunday and was wondering what the english name for sundaikkai is.

You answered it for me.

I have wanted to try puli kuzhambu for a long time now.
Sharmila said…
I have tasted these in Thai curries and they have a very sharp taste. Nice gravy. :-)
Nandinis food said…
Wow! Authentic kuzhambu! We had a small turkey berry tree in my garden! But now, I've got to satisy with sundaikkai vathal only! Lucky to be in your place!
Lavanya Raj said…
kuzhambu super!! Nakku ooruthu!

Cham..Ajith Style la "Iam Back" nnu aramichinga:) R u his fan? Iam his great Fan.
Seena said…
Hi Cham, no news for long? Haven't seen these berries before.. do u know the malayalam name? :)
Wow i love it ..looks so good and tempting .. I am just crazy abt puli kuzhambhu really its making me hungry now.. Hot rice with this and pappad heavenly.
Chitra said…
i love this kuzhambu a lot.We use sambhar powder instead of coriander & chilly powder..That's the difference.feeling hungry :)
Priya Suresh said…
I just love sundried or fresh sundaikkai kuzhambu, looks really delicious...Yumm!
lata raja said…
I only do this with sundaikkai vattal because of non-availability of fresh ones.Agree to all the taste tips, sesame oil tastes best and should be on the tangy side to relish this.
notyet100 said…
this is somethin new for me,..looks so yum,..
jayasree said…
I love this kuzhambu..As you said, the raw berries aren't very bitter and it is at tolerable levels. I have a plant in my backyard.
Kayal said…
I love this kuzhambu a lot. You made it perfectly. Its nice to see a recipe in your site after a longtime.
Sum Raj said…
oh my god..during my childhood days i used to grab from my garden...v used to add in papaya curry...just loved it soo much..this is new curry for me...looks tempting
Finla said…
Isn't this the aubegine we get in thai stores.
Curry looks super yumm. I would eat heaps of rice if i had this curry.
Vikis Kitchen said…
Nice picture dear.
Love that sundakkai vatral kulambu very much. Your fresh berry kulambu seems so delicious. Have you tried that poriyal using it? It will taste just like the tender brinjal:) Again feeling nostalgic:)
CurryLeaf said…
Wow,the name turkey berry is new to me.Love the info and the dish.the dish looks inviting
Dibs said…
Hey! Didnt know you were back Cham! How are you? I never knew sundaikkai by any other name - and have never seen fresh ones, although the 'vattals' are pretty regular at our home!
Anonymous said…
I have never seen these before...thanks for the info. Curry sounds tangy-delicious :)
Soma said…
I don't think i have ever seen these. The closest the way it looks is the fig we get in india ( the kind to be cooked in a curry). are they sour? what is the inside like?

the curry looks delicious & the lick lick slurpy kind:-)
Archana said…
wow, u made a luzhambu with fresh berry...i've never seen one here, but I love the sundakkai kuzhambu...the tangy spicy taste really works for me
This is one of my Dad's favourites. I don't get the green ones here, so use the vetral to make vetral kuzhambu.
Didn't know sundakkai was called turkey berry!
Vijitha said…
Hey Cham
Where did u get the soondakai in US? I love this kozhambhu. Superb! Looks so inviting. Karasarama irruku pakka!
Red Chillies said…
welcome back Cham. Never heard of this before, I will look for it soon -0)
Purva Desai said…
Never heard about this dish.......new to me.....but looks very delicious.....will give it a try.,....very well presented
Recipeswap said…
I think i've seen this berry before but I could be mistaken.I love a nice tangy gravy,Looks great!
Sum Raj said…
hey i have tagged u so please visit my blog..
A_and_N said…
Don't bother to trace you? What happ, Cham? :)

And your post reminds me that my mom in law brought some sundakkai! And I need to use it!
Anonymous said…
woow brings back memories of us having this plant at home.... it used to grow in abundance.... where do we get this in the U.S? please do let me know...

thanks,
madhu
Bong Mom said…
I thought Turkey with berries when I saw the title :) I don't know about this berry, looks pretty
Unknown said…
lucky you found these at the market,guess I would buy them regardless of the price :)
Cynthia said…
Thanks for the introduction to a new ingredient.
Unknown said…
ohh this one is my moms fav that fresh sundaikkai looks so beautiful and delicious recipe love to have this with hot rice yummm mouthwatering.