Indo-Portuguese: Vindaloo (veg version and non veg version)

Vinha d'alhos=(Garlic Wine Marinated dishes)- Vinha means Wine ; alhos means garlic.

Just recently, I realized the Vindaloo is an Indian Portuguese dish. When Portuguese landed in Goa -(coastal region of India), Carne Vinha d'alhos slowly dressed up with local (Indian) spices/meat and served as Vindaloo!
One of the dish, my mom prepared whenever she served some spaghetti, salad and the lamb vindaloo . The spicy sauce is dipped with a slice of baguette! To cool the tongue, buttery spaghetti and beet salad are served along for us! I always clipped in my mind Vindali (how we call in my house) is Indo-French because the use of vinegar which is uncommon ingredient in Indian pantry. It is reputed for being hot and fiery dish among the Indian cuisine. If it happened to try this dish outside, be ready to cool down the spice level with some Lassi or buttermilk.

Open the windows and patio door, It is very aromatic dish. The smell swirls in the house for a while :)
Note: If you are newbie in spice world or cannot tolerate the spicy food- I would NOT recommend to try this dish!

*Try the variations with any of this veggies: Brinjal (halve and fry with little oil), mushroom, any soy product (nutella nuggets).
* I try to add little bit of coconut milk (probably 2 tbsp or 3tbsp) -But my mom never did it!  It change slightly and lessen the spice less.


Print

Ingredients:
Mushroom or brinjal*: 1 box (8 oz conatainer) - cleaned and sliced
Medium size onion: diced
Large one or medium tomato 2: sliced
Ginger-Garlic: 3/4 tsp
Garlic pods: 8 to 10 peeled and smashed slightly
Chilli powder (Kashmiri recommended) or Use paprika: 1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder (freshly ground): 1 tsp
Vinegar (white): 1 tsp or more (if the curry is spicy increase the vinegar level)
Vegetable Oil: 2 tsp

Seasoning:
Cloves: 3 counts
Cinnamon stick: 1/2 inch
Bay leaves: 1

Method:
* If you use brinjal instead of Mushroom: Halve and fry the brinjal with little oil until they are off cooked.

Clean and slice the mushroom.
Heat the wide pan with oil. Throw all the seasoning together, follow by onion. When the onion turn translucent, add the tomato. Cook until the oil ooze out. Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté 2 or 3 min.
Now add the mushroom -chilli powder, turmeric, mashed garlic pods and cover with lid! Reduce the heat to medium low.
The mushroom cooks with his own water. After 10 minutes, open add the salt and cumin powder. Cook another 3 to 5 min. If the raw smell is gone and mushroom done. Add the vinegar and switch off the stove.
You may further garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with plain rice!
Try not to combine any other spicy rice or variety!

I am sending this Indo-Portuguese; Vindaloo to AWED-Portuguese hosted By Priya and originated by DK.

For egg: Hard boiled the egg and halve or make few slit and drop in the cooked gravy and follow the vegeterian version!

***************************************************

Non vegetarian: Egg, Lamb chops/Goat (recommended) , chicken/duck. Pork/beef (but how Portuguese make but never tasted )

If it is lamb or goat: cook before until done with 1 tsp chilli powder+ ginger garlic paste.



Print:

Ingredients:
Raw Shrimp : 15 to 20- divined and cleaned in cold water.
Large size onion: diced
Medium tomato 2: sliced
Ginger-Garlic: 3/4 tsp
Garlic pods: 8 to 10 peeled and smashed slightly
Chilli powder (Kashmiri recommended) or Use paprika: 1 1/2 or 2 tsp
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder (freshly ground): 1 tsp
Vinegar (white): 1 tsp or more (if the curry is spicy increase the vinegar level)
Vegetable Oil: 2 tsp

Seasoning:
Cloves: 3 counts
Cinnamon stick: 1/2 inch
Bay leaves: 1

Method:

Keep clean the shrimp ready.
Heat the wide pan with oil. Throw all the seasoning together, follow by onion. When the onion turn translucent, add the tomato. Cook until the oil ooze out. Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté 2 or 3 min.
Now add the shrimps -chilli powder, turmeric, mashed garlic pods and cover with lid! Reduce the heat to medium low.
The shrimps cook in his own water or may add only 1/4 cup of water. After 10 minutes, open add the salt and cumin powder. Cook another 3 to 5 min. If the raw smell is gone and shrimp done. Add the vinegar and switch off the stove.
Don't try with the Pink (cooked shrimp)- u may always end up chewy or rubbery dish!
After all I am a coastal person who loves only fresh seafood! Cooked will definitely spoil the dish!
You may further garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with plain rice!

Only one thing to remember : Always increase the spice level when you make non-vegetarian version

Comments

FH said…
Caught you just before I logged off today! :)

Yeah, Vindaloo is supposed to be hottest dish in India. Vinegar makes it a "foreign" flavored dish.

Both veg and non-veg Vindaloo look delicious. I tried once only with Carrots, I know it's weird! :D
Usha said…
This is such a delicious dish, I am definitely going to try this the next time I have mushrooms !
SE said…
yummy...loved both the versions of this dish !!
Cham said…
Asha: Carrot Vindaloo?? ha ha :)
Sujatha said…
Looks like you're trying quite a few portugese recipes:) Nice!

Actually, I have never tried any vindaloos so far :( These recipes should give me a good start! they look divine Cham!
Unknown said…
Very new dish to me, looks very spicy and yum. Love the little garlics inbetween the mushrooms..
Cynthia said…
Hey thanks for sharing that little vindaloo history.
ruchikacooks said…
Yummy! I agree, vindaloo can be quite hot to handle, even for us...Good that you gave a veggie version for me to try.. will make a mixed veggie vindaloo..

Btwn..Don't u think their dishes are similar to ours? The rajma rice you made last week, the payasam that I made and now vindaloo..
Cilantro said…
I make them with chicken and it is a little different than the usual type chicken dishes. the shrimp version looks very tempting.
Sunitha said…
Yummy! Looks fantastic.
Lakshmi said…
Loved the color of the dish. Never knew that it was marinated in wine!! that was good info there ..
Vikis Kitchen said…
Vindaloo reminds me of my Anglo Indian friends. Always goes well with bread. Yours look fiery hot n classic.
Recipeswap said…
ohhhhh the shrimp vindaloo has me drooling but im going to try the brinjal version.
Andhra Flavors said…
love hottest vindaloo.
I have to try this... Looks so yum! I have eaten chicken vindaloo and love it...
Nandinis food said…
Wha!!! Vindaloo is spicy! I tried it once with chicken, it was utterly spicy and hot! I don't know how you managed it, yet I strangely crave for it!
vandana rajesh said…
The shrimp vindaloo looks amazing cham...parents visiting so would give this a try soon:)
Unknown said…
Looks spicy,like the bowl :)
Parita said…
I didnt know vindaloo is wine + garlic :D would love to try the brinjal version, sounds hot and spicy!
PJ said…
oh my, i am loving your portugese series! I had never thought of Vindaloo being anything but Indian, now that you put the history forward though it all makes sense. Love the post, love the recipe and love the clicks!
Archana said…
The shrimp vindaloo looks so yum ! I have never tried making this at home - only had it in Goa, and totally love the vinegar in it !!
Raks said…
That sounds indeed spicy and good to know about the dish,thanks for the info!
Finla said…
I love vindaloo. Though said thati agree it is a real hot dish. This one mool beautiful and spicy delicous. I would love the shrmp one too.
Priya Suresh said…
Yummm!! beautiful mushroom vindaloo and tempting prawn vindaloo, its kinda hard for me to choose,both looks fantastic..Thanks again cham for sending ur delicious entry to AWED..
gtyuk said…
vindaloo curries look great, was happily glazing at the prawn vindaloo there, makes me hungry!!! like your mom does, I don't add coconut neither; as all at home appreciate hotness without any fuss, I go in heartily with the spices :):)

we call it 'Vindhaaaye" at home, nice interesting facts about the origin of the dish!!! nice curry!!!
CurryLeaf said…
WOW,love the detailed post.I knew it was the hottest dish,but never its recipe.Looks GREAT and I have mushrooms as well.I too will recommend coconut milk.
Namitha said…
Classic dish..Never tried the veggie version so far..Looks spicy and yumm :-)
Bong Mom said…
Love both your vindaloos. Bookmarked
MR said…
wow never had vindaloo with mushrooms and brinjal very interesting!!
shrimp vindaloo too looks drool worthy
Happy Pongal to you and your family cham.Iam planning to come to US in March
prasu said…
wow...........mushroom vindaloo and shrip vindaloo looks spicy and delicious dear...........
Yasmeen said…
I used to think vindaloo is some potato dish.Love both the veggie and shrimp vindaloos :D
Unknown said…
should try with mushrooms..sounds delicious..
Anonymous said…
Hmm...I love vindaloo...my dad makes the best :) Though we make the pork version. The shrimp vindaloo looks super yummy!
ah a new dish again!! never heard of it. happy pongal.
Unknown said…
I have always thought that vindaloo meant something in Hindi. Will try the shrimp version sometime..Happy Pongal!
Anonymous said…
I will not agree on it. I assume warm-hearted post. Particularly the title attracted me to study the intact story.
notyet100 said…
hppy festival,..both the curries loook yummy,,,
FH said…
Cham, just found a curry leaves You Tube video here. Also read that USDA has banned or restricted all the curry leaves plants in US. Weird. I have linked the info today above curry leaves photo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJQt3mfrgiE
Gita Jaishankar said…
Both the dishes looks super tasty Cham...I am planning to try your veggie vindaloo this weekend :)
ruchikacooks said…
Yaar sonnargal yarum illai yendru? Itho vanthu vitten ododi ungal veettai thedi..

Pal pongi vitatha? Pongal pongi vittatha? Karumbu kidaithatha? (They sell it at fiesta market here)

Sutramum natpum illavital yenna, solli viduvom pongalo pongal :D
(phew!!)

Ingae pongi vitatthu..all over the stove ;D
Finitho eating it too with poli.
Vrinda said…
Mushroom vindaloo looks so good,i know only few recipes with mushrooms,thanx for sharing cham,will try it for sure..happy Pongal,Enjoy....
Rahin said…
I liked both the versions , the shrimp looks gorgeous
my kitchen said…
Both the versions looks great, looks lovely
Deepthi Shankar said…
that looks awesome .. I have never tried this before
ruchikacooks said…
Ooru vittu Ooru vanthalum, sontham vittu pogathu :D

Pasakaara ponnunga ilaiya namma?

Thiratupal pannina neram, yennoda nalla neram..illavittal Neenga yengae naan yengae..
Soma said…
I made a quick variation of chicken vindaloo 2 days back. After reading your post last time, I had such a big craving for vindaloo, and it reminded me of our time in Goa where we ate vindaloo every single day while we were staying on the beach! I am yet to make the elaborate version. Love the Shrimp one .. somehow never thought of doing the shrimp. Way quicker than meat and perfect with a coastal recipe.
Vani said…
Loved the squiggly shaped dish that you served the veg vindaloo in, Cham! Never made vindaloo at home. Love the high heat factor in it.
Anonymous said…
Well I agree but I contemplate the brief should secure more info then it has.
Cham said…
Anon: Haha Do u think I am making in assignement about Vindaloo, how about signing ur name?