Pepper garlic gravy- Poundu Millagu Kuzhambu

Is Spring the most beautiful season? After a total dormant condition, tree are showing sign of life, in some area the cherry blossom has started. Not particularly a scorching sun, burning your skin yet, you feel a pleasant cool weather. A little bit of gloomy weather probably for us, but the season is categorized as wet one for the rest of US. The weather change will definitely bring a new series of germs, virus,.... Ah, we already got some stuffy nose to sinus pressure,....Probably the double dose of flu shots expired in our body. We simply needed some peppery food to clear the nose and throat. I remembered my mom preparing on rainy days along with some thogaiyal or papad. It is called comfort food for us.
The pepper gravy (millagu kuzhambu) is a must in all Tamilian repertoire.Very easy recipe can be done under 20 minutes or less.
My mom does a non-Vegetarian version with a particular butterfish. Given for lactating mom - because of mild spice, pepper, and garlic which fight/protect against cold. 




Ingredients:


Tamarind: lemon size ball -(about a ounce)
Pearl onion: 10 peeled
Garlic: 1 whole peeled
Few curry leaves
Water: 1 1/2 cup
Salt: 3/4 tsp
Hing: a dash
Oil (gingelly): 2 tsp


Roast and grind


Black Peppercorn: 1 tsp
Red Pepper: 5 number (I used the round small one (less spicy)
Urad dhal: 1 tsp
Toor dhal: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: 4 or 5

Method

Add a drop of oil, roast all the ingredients until they turn slightly brown and aromatic.
Cool completely and grind into fine powder.


Soak the tamarind in warm 1/2 cup of water for ten minutes or keep in microwave for less than min.
Take out and extract the juice by adding another 1/2 cup of water.
Now add the ground powder, salt and remaining water.
In a pot, heat the oil, add the hing, followed by onion and garlic, fry until they turn translucent.
Pour the tamarind and ground masala mix, let it boil few minutes (approx- 10 min) in medium heat.
The gravy will turn thick because of the masala . Optional, u can add a little piece of jaggery to adjust the tamarind level (I didn't ).
Serve the gravy over the steamed rice, great for cold and stuffy nose in a rainy day.


Non-vegetarian: Follow this base recipe for gravy, add "Butterfish (Karra - Poddi)" - make little thinner the gravy. Great for lactating mother- Usually the black pepper fight cold and cough, the garlic is good for Cholesterol lowering and Excellent for lactating mothers.


Comments

Indian Khana said…
Looks too gud...bookmarked it..will try soon
Nandinis food said…
So lovely the kaara kozhambu is! This is so fantastic! Good one!
Unknown said…
Nothing can be compared with melagu kolambu and rice on a rainy day...luv ur presentation!
Padhu Sankar said…
Such a comforting kuzhambu that goes well with rice .I just love it very much and your photo looks tempting.
Suparna said…
hey cham,
nice spicy gravy...havent tasted b4 :) Thanks for sharing the recipe
Raks said…
I make a different version,want to try this version too,looks hot and spicy!
Pari Vasisht said…
Hi Dear. Looks so tasty and so flavorful.
Unknown said…
i make this often and love the taste..
Priya Suresh said…
The name itself makes me drool...my all time favourite...with papads and rice topped with ghee, this kuzhambu tastes absolutely divine na...slurppp!!
Finla said…
Oh please serve this for me with steaming ot rice, just the thought makes me drool. I love this, but i think my hubby and daughter might not like it, perks of beeing married to a non indian .
suvi said…
Perfect for an evening when it is pouring outside...we've been having a a lot of rain this past 2 weeks, can't wait to make this. My MIL's and hence my way of making it is slightly different, glad to add another version!
Anonymous said…
Will bookmark the recipe... we are due for sneezy noses for this season! Will try this pepper gravy remedy this time.
Looks so tempting. With hot rice and ghee and appalam this is the best food.
I made some last week and I was about to post it today, just now came here. Ithu yenna coincidence akka.

http://ruchikacooks.com
Deepa G Joshi said…
this is something new to me..never tired..looks so tasty.

www.foodlyrics.com
Preeti Kashyap said…
I love the recipe..shd try!
Sarah Naveen said…
Awesome click..looks too yummy ...
Trendsetters said…
wonderful ..i love this dish
Shama Nagarajan said…
we love this curry...good one
Latha said…
Super delicious millagu kuzhambu. Awesome with hot rice and ghee. I never tried it with garlic though. Must taste even more yummy.
PJ said…
i can see why this pepper gravy would be such a welcome treat for the runny and coughing soul. infact, i wouldn't mind a big bowl of it right now myself :) looks delicious and a very unique recipe.
Hi cham,

Poondu molagu kozhambu is something to try out.Its one of my fav kozhambu's to try. Where did you get curry leaves? Out here in san diego we are so out of stock. I love the photo that you have taken of the kozhambu.
Bong Mom said…
This looks just right for the weather here today. Some shrimp in there might do wonder :-)
San said…
Millagu Kozhambu with papad oohhh is always an amazing combo.I would demand my mom to feed me :) hmm wanna get back those memories to the present .Picture perfect gravy.
Cilantro said…
It has been spring for most of the winter for us, very unusual for us.
My mother too makes this type of Kuzhambu in the veg and non ve version. I like both and the fish kuzhambu is my fav.
Cham said…
Srimathi: Curry leaves -I get always in Indian or Asian market. I do have a plant also, but very small one, I bought online: http://www.logees.com/ They ship perfectly from NJ. Local Indian store have few plants but very pricey!
Usha said…
Millagu kozhambu looks fabulous, my MIL makes a different version, will try yours soon !
Namitha said…
Oh yeah, Spring is the best :D
Such a spicy and yumm gravy would be perfect for some piping hot rice and pappad..oh, the very thought is making me hungry..lol..
Great pic Cham...I make slightly different version..It is raining in our place and would be a great lunch recipe..
Unknown said…
Looks really comforting Cham!
Gita Jaishankar said…
Gloomy weather there too eh? I have a pharyngitis becos of the change in climate now. Kuzhabu looks very inviting Cham...perfect cold buster for me.
Dori said…
Goodness, something about this just sounds amazing! I bookmarked to try :)
SS blogs here said…
Hey Cham.. Pepper really packs a punch! This looks so yum and perfect!!
Unknown said…
Looks really good & fantastic..
nandini said…
Love milagu kulambu... Ur recipe is tad differenrt from mine , will try your version. Adding fish is new to me.
PS said…
wow, spicy spicy milagu kulambu, my first time here, glad to follow you, am a new blogger, do visit my space..
Madhavi said…
Love to have this gravy with rice and paratha.
Sum Raj said…
wooo this weekend got to try...i love spicy food..looks flavourful cham..therez somthing for u on my blog...plzz collect them..:)
Laavanya said…
I love spring too Cham :) waiting for the pretty flowers to show up... it's in the process. My mom made this kuzhambu so often after my delivery and this is something i make when any of us fall sick.
Looks spicy & good.
You read my mind. It looks like it is going to rain today- SO I decided I will go home make this kuzhambu and then come to your blog ..
CurryLeaf said…
Looks too spicy and inviting.Yeah pepper is good during wet season.I always associte rasam or peppery dishes with wet season. They provide body heat and protection against germs.New gravy to me thgh I have heard of curryleaves rasam or saaru as it is also known.Thanks for the info in the post.
Meena said…
lovely kuzhambu, cham! comfort food at its best...
Chamka, no worries about the entry, got a few. It should be enough :)

We have that uruli at home to make upmas, comes out awesome..

http://ruchikacooks.com
Lena Jayadev said…
wowwww..this looks super delicious Cham.. :)recipe is bookmarked.. :)
M D said…
The kozhambu looks really good. Amazing pics!
my kitchen said…
Medicinal gravy,perfect with hot rice
Parita said…
Bookmarked! The curry sounds so yummy, my mouth is literally watering.
This fiery kuzhambu is perfect during the rains here. Warms one from inside out! :)

Right now, summer's melting us out here.