When I first saw muffins in bakery few years back. I called it "Monster Cupcake". I never thought Muffins are totally different than cupcakes until I tried to bake one. Muffins contains fruits, less sugar and less fat (butter). If you want to know more about muffins - Check my healthy blueberry muffins.We prefer to start the morning much on savory side but it is not always possible.
Mornings are the most hectic part of the day for me. Even if I woke up early, I always feel there is no enough time. If you are a mom, you should know what I mean, lunch box, breakfast, kid getting ready to school...To ease out the morning rush, I bake muffins or quick bread at home and freeze for later use. I hate the store bought one- they are huge and the cinnamon taste and banana doesn't please our palate. Call me weird, I cannot accept cinnamon in sweet dishes and stand for banana smell .
I got this recipe from "More Muffins" book, the book doesn't have any images but it has an original version of muffins and "Lighter side" which I absolutely love it. Obviously, I picked the Lighter version of Oatmeal Raisin Muffins which are low fat, perfect mild sweet and my favorite Dry fruits raisins popping in each bites. Very easy muffin recipe: Golden rule, no over mixing for a soft muffins!
Yield: 6 to 7 muffins
All Purpose flour or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour: 1 cup
Uncooked Old-Fashioned Oats: 1 cup
Light brown sugar firmly packed: 1/2 cup
Baking powder: 2 1/2 tsp
Milk and Egg should be at room temperature
Fat free milk: 1 /2 cup
Large egg whites : 2 slightly beaten
Vegetable oil or Canola oil: 2 tbsp
Vanilla Extract: 1 1/2 tsp
Raisin: 3/4 cup
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly coat the muffins cups with nonstick vegetable spray or oil.
2. In a large bowl, stir the dry ingredients listed above together. In another separate bowl, start beating egg first, and add all the liquid ingredient (Wet ingredients). Beat well until well blended.
3. Now make a well in center of the dry ingredients bowl, pour the liquid (milk, egg, oil) at once in middle. Stir just to combine. Stir the raisins. No Overbeating and Mixing
4. Spoon the batter into prepared muffins pans and fill 3/4 in each cup. Bake for 18 to 22 min or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Cool for 5 minutes in rack before unmolding from cups. Finish cooling in rack and store in air tight container.
This one freeze well .
Ideal if u use within a month the freezer one.
To freeze: After completely cooled.
Wrap with plastic wrap and then with aluminum foil. Store in airtight container for Best Result.