Happy Tamil New Year

Poli (tamil)/obattu or holige (in kannada) is a sweet stuffing flat bread. This special sweet is prepared during auspicious days in many parts of India. It sounds simple but not in reality. The last time, I prepared this coconut poli was 4 years ago. Every State has his own version for the outer layer and stuffing. In Tamil Nadu, oily dough made out of maida is patted in greasy banana leaf. After patting few polis, you end up with sore fingers and need a good manicure. A valid reason to tell my DH cannot make it every year his favorite.
In my last trip, I had chance to eat the Kannadigas version in my in-laws place: thin, non-greasy and rolled like Chapatis. I didn’t even bother to ask the recipe. Three weeks back, Ugadi (Telugu/Kannada New year) reminded us the Holige/obbattu which is quintessential sweet. I was in a mood to try the thin version and looked many videos and zeroed with this one. The granny does with ease and I believe practice is key.  I followed her outer layer recipe and stuffing I made with Bengal gram. I planned ahead for making polis, the first day; I prepared the dough and stuffing. The next day, I just stuffed and rolled it. That was much easier and less work. The recipe works well and keeper, the dough doesn’t tare and you don’t have any messy stuffing in your workplace.




Preparation time: Need at least 4 to 5 hours for the dough to rest.


 Outer layer Ingredients
  1. Wheat flour or Atta: 1+ 1/4 cups
  2. Maida: 1/4 cup
  3. Salt: 1/4 tsp
  4. Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
  5. Oil: 1 tbsp

Method:
  • Mix all the ingredients together , add the water slowly and  knead well until you get a soft dough. I used 3/4 cup water (minus 1 tbsp). It should be like a soft chapati dough, smear a 1 tsp of oil cover the dough or wrap with film and let it rest.
  • For kneading you need 4 tsp of oil in the resting period is 5 hours.
  • Every 45 minutes or every hour, knead the dough and smear a tsp of oil- I have kneaded 5 min the dough 4 to 5 times. The dough will be become soft and elastic.
  • Rest the dough at least 4 to 5 hours- the more time you leave the better the dough behave ! You can even refrigerate at this point. But need to bring back to room temperature when you are ready to make the polis.




The stuffing Ingredients
  1. Chana Dhal/Bengal Gram: 1 cup
  2. Grated jaggery: 1 1/4 cup
  3. Cardamom: 4 to 5 Powdered
  4. Ghee: 1 tsp
Method:
  • Rinse the dhal and pressure cook until 3 to 4 whistles.
  • Drain the water and keep the dhal only aside.
  • Run the cooked chana dhal and jaggery in mixer/blender. They should turn smooth.
  • Heat the ghee in a pot, add the chana dhal+ jaggery mixture+cardamom powder and cook until they turn into a mass. It will form like a ball.
  • Let it cool completely. I can be stored in fridge at this point. But bring back to room temperature when you make polis.




Assembling:Stuffing - rolling and cooking

Ingredients:

Maida/wheat: for dusting
Melted Ghee or oil: for smearing
  • Take a lemon size of stuffing (channa dhal mixture) and pretty much lesser  for the outer dough.
  • Form a cup with the dough and keep in middle the stuffing. Enclose the stuffing carefully by stretching the dough. Form a ball and pinch the end together, flatten slightly.
  • Dust the work surface with flour, roll the stuffed dough thin.
  • Smear with little ghee or oil one side.
Cooking
  • Heat a griddle or pan.
  • Put the smeared ghee side down. Cook 2 minutes and flip the other side and cook. When polis are roasted (get some brown spots) remove from pan.
  • Wrap them in foil and store it. Simply warm in microwave before enjoying with ghee or milk.




Included a slide show of making poli/holige
இனிய தமிழ் புத்தாண்டு

Comments

Cilantro said…
Iniya Puthandu Vazthukal !
I love the polis and it is not easy as you said. I made them last year and I do`nt know when I will be making them next. Your pics are tempting me make them soon.
ruchikacooks said…
Iniya tamil puthandu vazthukkal akka, wishes to paiyyan also..poli looks sweet :D (Dont kick me ok). very tasty, mine does not come this perfect.
vineela said…
Happy Tamil to you and your family,cham
notyet100 said…
I had this yesterday thanks to my neighbor,happy festival to u nd ur family,...thanks for the recipe,will try thissometime,
Happy New Year! Love the polis...
Sumi said…
Lovely poli's, perfectly thin :)
puthandu vazthukal..didnt make anything special this year, as
i got busy with my new work:)
anjana said…
lovely and delicious polis
Poornima Nair said…
The polis look fabulous and I love the slide show at the end. Happy New year to you too!
Priya Suresh said…
Iniya puthaandu nal vazhuthukal Cham..yummy polis, wish to have some,just love it..
Vani said…
Happy new year, Cham! Obbattu looks good and is the typical ugadi sweet too :)
Happy New Year Cham !! Lovely poli looks so good. Our favorite !!
Laavanya said…
Happy Tamil New Year Cham... i've always associated poli with bhogi... your version of poli looks really delicate and yummy.
CurryLeaf said…
Hope you had a wonderful start on Tamil Puthandu. The polis are amazing. I have tried my hand at making them and always depend on moms :). Excellent post with the slide show!.
ruchikacooks said…
veyil koluthuthu kekathinga..
Usha said…
Happy New Year Cham !! The poli looks perfect, I like this version too and would love to give it a try:)
Recipeswap said…
Happy new year.Lovely poli, nice to know that one can use atta too.
Recipeswap said…
Also like all the color combinations in your 1st photograph.
Namitha said…
Love it ! They have come out so perfect ! Hope you had a wonderful New year day :)
awesum luking.my fav too.loved the pics...nice one n easy to make..
Maha
Vikis Kitchen said…
Happy Tamil New year dear. Lovely boli....always crave for it:)
turmericnspice said…
Wow this s just awesome