Rava Ladoos

Diwali is the most cherished festival for me. A week before and week later, sweets and snacks will be lying around the house reminding the festival. The joy of wearing a silk dress and showing to friends and family. The most important is the only Festival we eat Non Vegetarian from morning to night. How cool to have mutton gravy for idlis? Mutton fry for lunch with dosa? Now it becomes a past for me.
I got to admit, I am not so religious and even not very traditional woman who follows everything very closely. I practice pretty much what my heart says :) But things work differently in my home. My mom, aunts and sister follow exactly the custom. They prepare the same sweet, make same type of vadas, etc... never change anything. They lean more on sentiments than tradition. I modify my plan according our taste and my mood. I cut out the "suyam" the sweet dumpling (Diwali special in most TN houses) because none have such sweet tooth! I don't want to waste food and save my time too.
Rava Ladoos falls in the category of sentiment in my family. It is featured as Diwali special in my grandma, mom and aunts house till now! I just wanted to give a try out. Not a big fan of sweets I made this rava ladoos by altering the sugar level and adding little coconut. My granny never added coconut that is my DH suggestion :) The sweet has an excellent shelf life of course without coconut! They melt in your mouth if the rava is finely ground :)





Print


Rava Ladoos
Yield: 9 to 10  ladoos 


Ingredients:


Roasted Rava: 1 cup
Powdered Sugar: 1/2 cup (can be increased to 3/4 Cup)
Fresh coconut: 1/2 cup
Ghee: 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Green cardamon: 4 peeled and powdered
Cashew broken into bite size pieces: 2 tbsp
Raisin: 1 tbsp ( I didn't added)



 Method:

Fry the cashews : add a tsp of ghee, fry the nuts. Remove the cashews.
In the same pan, roast the rava by adding a tsp of ghee in medium low heat for 7 to 8 min. Rava will give an nice aroma once roasted, cool it down.
Roast the fresh coconut in hot pan for 1 to 2 min, remove and cool it down.
Grind finely the semolina/rava, next the sugar.
Run in the mixer few seconds the grated coconut, that gives a nice even grainy texture.
Mix well the ground semolina, coconut, sugar, cashews and
green cardamon.
Heat the ghee , add 2 tbsp of hot ghee into the mixture of rava and mix with back of wooden spoon. Try to form a ball once they are slightly warm to touch.
If the mixture doesn't hold in hand, add a tbsp of ghee and try to make ladoos. Always use a tbsp or less of ghee to form the ladoos, and finish the mixture the same manner.

The ladoos store well without refrigeration.

Note: Never pour the whole amount of ghee in the mixture.
Always use a tbsp or less to form the ladoos.

You may probably ended up using little ghee or more ghee than stated in my recipe.

Comments