Wednesday, March 13, 2013

French Breakfast puffs

To my regular Readers, I apologize for freezing this space for weeks. I was feeling under the weather. That was a reason to hibernate.
Did the warm weather returned in your neck of wood? Yes, No? Probably my pictures taken in my neighborhood will be a teaser for some who still deal with a mound of snow in your front yard! Every year, we have a sign of Spring with those wild mustard field blanketing many acres of open field. Now don't pop up a question where exactly, these yellow flowers are spotted throughout the Bay! Every year, this eye soaring yellow field uplift the mood and shows sign of blooming!
As the wild mustard greens are in season, it appears in local restaurant menu. I never tasted this green and even didn't dare to try out. Don't you think they are too pretty to be plucked!


Mustard field/spring blossom



The French breakfast puffs is a version of baked donut holes. Certainly it is not a French classic, probably an American favorite because of cinnamon. Anything cinnamon , my son loves it but for me, I still cannot tolerate cinnamon in baked goodies. Pretty easy to bake and the fun part is dip in melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar. Probably a fun way to engage your kid in baking. I only rolled half batch fully in butter and sugar, the other half I kept plain for myself. You can even dip the top of muffins in butter and roll in sugar.






Recipe source: Betty Crocker
Print




Ingredients 


1 1/2 cups  All purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter (room temperature)
1 egg
1/2 cup milk


For the coating and rolling

1/4 cup of sugar (if you roll only half batch like it did ) or double the amount
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted

Instructions:

  • Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a muffins tins (mine is 12
    muffins) , recipe yielded 9 muffins.
  • Cream the butter and sugar for 5 minutes, add the egg and beat well. Sift, flour, baking powder, nutmeg powder and salt together, stir the flour mixture alternately with milk in the butter/sugar egg mixture. Scoop the batter in greased muffins tins.
  • Bake for 20 to 25 min (depending the size of muffins tins)


For rolling 

Melt the butter, I made a brown butter, keep the butter in medium heat, until the residue starts to brown slightly at the bottom of the pot.

Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a separate bowl. 

Once the muffins are baked, take out immediately and roll the muffins in melted butter next in cinnamon sugar.

If you want to keep light, just dip the top in melted butter and dip in cinnamon sugar (is less sweet).







28 comments:

notyet100 said...

Glad to see u back after such a long time,..:) gorgeous pics,muffin looks scrumptious

Sumi said...

Interesting recipe, can't wait to try this out...as you said we are waiting for the spring god to open her eyes...so much fed up of this weather

Shama Nagarajan said...

welcome back...delcious puffs

kitchen queen said...

spongy and tempting puffs.

Finla said...

I didn't know about this recipes should make them once. Looks yumm.

Bong Mom said...

Was wondering why you are not posting. Still cold here.

Love the idea of these muffins and I think my daughters will like it too. Can I store it ?

Priya Suresh said...

Am very much fed up with the weather, actually spring is near but still its snowing before two days,hope to see some budding flowers here.

Glad to see u back Cham, i thought to ping u in FB,thank god u r back.

Those breakfast puffs makes me drool,even anything with cinnamon is my fav too. Feel like grabbing some and havign rite now.

Cham said...

SandeepaThis one disappears in no time, freezing should work without rolling and dipping in butter (skip the last step). It stored well for 3 days and just zap few seconds in MW before serving.

Shweta said...

this looks amazing. DO visit my blog
www.merrytummy.blogspot.com

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

whay yummy puffs... love it coated with sugar and cinamon! Yummy!
love the spring clicks - yes still stuck with winter here!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Nice bf

Vikis Kitchen said...

Lovely clicks. Happy to see spring photos...still we are having little snow. Puffs look very nice.

Malar Gandhi said...

Long time, no see...how are you, buddy?

These breakfast puffs are too good, I need to self-invite myself to your place. :)

I moved my blog to a new domain: www.kitchentantras.com

Please feel free to visit me...

http://kitchentantras.com/mor-rasam-thanjavur-special/

http://kitchentantras.com/the-zodiac-diet-menu-ideas/

Sujatha said...

Delicious snacks! I just love the sugar coated muffins.. Actually I was running out of snack recipes, will try this out soon..

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Really must be very hard for anyone to pluck those beautiful flowers...
I love cinnamon in my bakes but avoid cream on top...wonderful muffins..

Purabi Naha said...

Cham, now this is something really really delicious!! I loved this recipe and the picture is so good….it makes me drool!

G.Pavani said...

delicious puffs..

Shella said...

This is looking very yumm

Laavanya said...

Good to have you back... those puffs look delicious. I think my kids will love them.

Purabi Naha said...

Lovely! Cham, this is a great snacking idea...I love the recipe. I am fond of cinnammon, so I know I will try it for sure!

notyet100 said...

Why no posts it's been so long

Sweta Rastogi said...

Nice Job ,Very informatrive blog.
please also visit

http://indianrecipequeen.blogspot.in/

Aron said...

Great blog

Posting Load and Truck said...

Inspiring posting. Greetings from Kolkata.

Curry Leaf said...

Yum, That is a must try Cham.
I am hibernating too. So long since I came here.

Corporate to Kitchen said...

Those puffs looks really cute & delicious. Loved ur pictures & first time here

Srivalli said...

Looks like you have again disappeared!..those muffins look great..

Finla said...

How are you cham. Hope everything is ok with you. How is your son doing. Love Finla.