Kuzhi Paniyaram

Kuzhi Paniyaram (in tamil)/Paddu (in kannada)



Wondering what could be these round fluffy balls? Well another addition in the Tiffin world. I would say the leftover dosa batter turn into a decent manner. These balls are really crispy outside and really soft inside. Another discovery between dosa and idli! Sorry guys! You need a special pan (Paniyaram Pan) to make it. People make sweet and savory versions. Mine is a savory one served with coconut chutney.





 Ingredients: 
Dosa/idly batter: any leftover will be great (approximately 3 to 4 cups)
  Onion: 1 minced
  Green chili: 1 or 2 minced (For kids try to omit “chili” or grind it into paste)
  Curry & coriander leaves: 2 tbsp Chopped finely 
  Tempering: Oil: ½ tsp
  Urad dhal: ½ tsp 
Mustard seeds: ½ tsp 

  Method Add the chopped onion, chili, curry and coriander leaves to the batter. Heat the oil in small pan and add the seasoning. Once it starts to crack, pour into the dosa mix. Heat the paniyaram pan, brush with little oil and scoop a spoon of batter. If you don’t mind about calories, add some more oil in each paniyaram. It makes crispier outside. Once it starts to be golden brown just flip it and let the other side turns brown. Serve hot with coconut chutney. 

  Variation for kids: Try to sneak some grated carrots and capsicum. (Omit chili and onion) 

  Non- vegetarian: add egg - it will be egg Paniyaram. Have trouble with my ingredient refer to my pantry.

Comments

Dhivya said…
hey cham me and my hubby r big fans of kuzhi paniyaram...I made recently but with egg...pic looks yummy....
DK said…
the paniyaram luks so delectable! I have been searching for the pan for a while now! Guess the only go is to ship it online :)
Anonymous said…
Nice recipe. I use to make this often. Nice pics.
Uma said…
Yummy! My fav. snack. Picture perfect.
vimmi said…
Will get this pan on my trip to India. The only prob is that i dont have gas, bit a glass cook top. Will this pan work on that?
Cham said…
Hi Dhiv,Shri & Uma : It is our family favorite too :)

DK: Want the pan or panniyaram to be shipped?

To Vimmi: I have an electic cooktop. It works fine. It should work without any problem in glass one too. I got this pan from my last trip.
EC said…
Inspired by ur post, i tried out the same and it came out very well. See my latest post on the blog. thanks for sharing this nice recipe
Kalai said…
I love kuzhi paniyaram! That reminds me... I should make this soon! :)
Mythreyee said…
I was looking for a perfect kuzhi paniyaaram. Here it is. Thanks for sharing.
Ramki said…
Hi Cham,

Have blogged your Kuzhi Paniyaram as a model recipe in my One page cookbook.

/Thanks