Spaghetti & soya balls

If someone asked the question what is your favorite childhood dish? Without any hesitation, my reply would be one of my mom dish and definitely Indian (regional cuisine). But if I ask my son the same question: he says “Pasta” or “Pizza”. Yes, he is fond of cheese and pasta. Hmm, Italian cuisine impressed him most than my Indian cuisine!

So i decided why not to make a Spaghetti & soy balls! I am not throwing an authentic Italian dish. This Indo-Italian version has been made with little twist to suit my taste buds and purely vegetarian. If you are a meat lover or Vegetarian, doesn’t matter, sure you are going to love this dish, which look and taste like an authentic Spaghetti & meatballs!



Spaghetti & soya balls (vegetarian)


To make Soy Balls (meat balls)- makes 6 soy balls

Print this

Ingredient:

Soy crumble or granule: 1 cup- If it is a granule, soak in hot water for 5 min, squeeze out the water and rinse again in water, twice. But I used readily available “Veggie/soy crumble” from frozen section just microwave one min.

Potato: small one (microwave with baking potato option- about 4 min) and mashed it

Oregano leaves dry: ½ tsp

Basil fresh: few leaves

Parmesan grated cheese: 2 tbsp

Chilli powder: 1 tsp

Salt: a dash (optional) because I used the frozen soy crumble contains little salt!

Method:

Mix the all the ingredients together. You should make balls easily. Line a tray with aluminum foil and spray some oil. Place those balls and spray oil once again to those balls. Preheat the oven for 400 C. Place the tray and bake 10 min until they turn brown.

How to make marinara sauce:

Ingredient:

Tomato puree: 1 cup

Tomato: 1 one diced or even substitute with crushed tomato (½ cup)

Onion: ½ diced

Garlic: 1 clove minced

Grated carrot: 2 tbsp (optional)

Chilli Powder: 1 tsp

Oregano leaves dry: ½ tsp

Basil fresh: few leaves Chopped

Parsley fresh: chopped few leaves

Nutmeg: a dash

Salt: a pinch

Sugar: pinch

Parmesan cheese grated : 1 tsp

Oil (olive oil): 1 tsp

Method:

Heat a pot with oil. Add the garlic followed by onion, fry until they turn translucent. Pour the tomato sauce, tomato and all the ingredients, let it cook in simmer for 8 to 10 min. Drop the soy balls and sprinkle the cheese. Serve hot and immediately over some spaghetti.

Preparing Spaghetti:

Ingredient:

Thin spaghetti: ½ packet

Water: 3/4 of the pot

Boil some water in a big pot, when it starts to boil, salt generously. Add the spaghetti and cook according ur taste, mine I don’t like al dente, so I cooked 10 min. Once cooked, drain and keep aside.

Tip: seeing my post, don't think it is a long process. But the truth, it could be made in less than 30 minutes.

1. Start boiling water for pasta in stove

2. Meantime prepare the ball

3. make the marinara sauce

Inspired by this post, i prepared another Indian curry which would be my next soya post!

Previous entries in soya:

1. Soya crumble curry

2. Minty Soya kebab

3. Soya pulaov


This Indo-Italian plate is reaching Dk of Culinary bazaar for AWED event-Italiano.

Herb Mania-basil celebrated by Dee at Ammalu"s kitchen

JFI started by Indira at Mahanandi, this month Sia wants to follow an healthy diet with Soya

Sunshinemon celebrating Food in colours -which is RED this month

WYF-colour in food event celebrated by EC

Comments

Uma said…
Pasta is my fav. too! the soya balls are tempting me! So colorful and delicious.
Rachel said…
I like the ings that make up the sauce..good one..
DK said…
my take on spahegtti and meat balls has been to make the balls with beans which I have posted earlier...soy sounds great too..

But then I jus want to learn one thing from you - How to combine million events with one recipe! Amazing! Way to go super woman :)

Thanks for this delicious plate of pasta for AWED...I totally dig it. :)
Sunshinemom said…
Like Rachel, I too liked the sauce - the proof is that my mouth is watering...ummm....:) Thank you for another lovely entry, Cham:)
Sujatha said…
Those soya balls look like real meat balls! I am drooling cham.. So inviting and colorful..

I have something waiting for you in my blog :)
Sia said…
u made me hungry first thing in the morning cham. not fair!
thank u for this lovely entry girl. i am bookmarking it to try it asap :)
Anonymous said…
Wow...this looks yummy! Very creative Cham :) I have to look for soya in the frozen section now :)
Unknown said…
wow... super....soya balls are trmpting me... looks wonderful & amazing.... great click...
Laavanya said…
Lovely vegetarian version of spaghetti and meatballs Sham - looks super! :)
A_and_N said…
Super! I have always felt frustrated with sphagetti-meatball at Italian restaurants because there is no 'veggie-equivalent' for it. Now that you've given me one, i have to try this out :)
kamala said…
My daughter too love non Indian food so much Cham..So tempting..
Suganya said…
Hi Cham...
This is a very nice recipe. Looks so good. I have also posted spaghetti with chicken balls long back in my blog. Urs look so appetizing...
Swati said…
Hey this really needs to be given a try.. my son too just wants " something else" all the time :))
Lovely dish!!
Unknown said…
Hey, u've been tagged, check it at my blog.
Vaishali said…
What a wonderful recipe for soya balls, Cham. They sound quite easy and look great. I must try this soon.
hi cham
a very brave and wonderful fusion of indo-italian dish...simply loved it..well done !
Madhavi said…
WOW this is divine, awesome, great great idea. Mouthwatering entry and can't wait ti try. Hats off to u gal!!!
Richa said…
those soyaballs look soooo tempting, cham! feel like making them rightaway ;)
Illatharasi said…
Wonderful recipe.... looks too yummy:)
Unknown said…
Cham, superb..one recipe and so many events.Good thinking..Loved the pic.Looks so perfect and yum..i am avid soya lover, gonna try this soon..
SMN said…
Pasts is my fav too but ofcourse its not my top list i will select regional cuisne. this dish looks yummy
EC said…
You always emerge a winner in multi-events for a single post...thanks for participating
heyyy how r u .... remember my bean balls... hehe... wow soya wud b so inviting....
Indian Khana said…
Soy balls...umm thats nice...I can try sometime...gud recipe with details and gud entry...its call 1 thir se kai shikar...mast hai :)
Sum Raj said…
hey cham...this is quick comment..thanks a lot...
this looks awsome and mouthwatering...
Sangeeth said…
wow! girl...now if someone says spaghetti i can say soya balls instead of meat balls...surely will give it a try. Would have been very happy if u prepared this for protein rich entry but never mind..liked ur pulao too..btw I tried ur bell pepper chutney and it was awesome...will be blogging abt that soon....
Beyond Curries said…
I have seen spaghetti and meatballs in food tv and other places and your soy balls looks exactly the same Cham. Wonderful job! As DK has mentioned, you definitely have the nack for preparing 1 dish for atleast more than 2 events.
A vegetarian version of an all time favourite. Looks really good.