Pallipalayam Special - Kongunadu cuisine

Upon searching with different keywords for the RCI- Kongunadu, I ended up with many recipes. Personally, I was not quiet familiar with that particular cuisine even though being a Tamilian. I came across many blogs stating: My blog contains “XYZ regional food” but found any introduction about the dish only the recipe was available. Really sad when your recipe didn't reach any audience, when someone wants to know which cuisine, which part of the world you belong, what is the specialty of your cuisine, traditional, regional, family recipe, tried from the net / book, no tag, … Forget it! Doesn’t mean you should start writing a whole big paragraph. Just a clean line where the recipe come from (probably the source), probably why you like it or not! That would be really greatful and useful to all. Ok coming to the recipe. Pallipalayam is a Municipality town, located, as part of Erode city-TN. Pallipalayam chicken is quiet popular one, why the dish got the town name? Well, I don’t have any right answer to provide you. If you know please let me know! The recipe comes from the Chef Jacob Kumar Sahay who got specialize in long-lost cuisine of South-India: Like Kongunadu, Nanjilnadu (Nadar Cuisine), Sanga Kaala Unavu (Ancient Tamil cuisine). When I was in India, I saw one or two TV cooking show. He really comes up with wacky ideas: cooking in middle of the river, over the tree top, in middle of industrial area, but quiet interesting recipes. This recipe involves two kind of masalas. The original recipe comes from this website
Thanks for sharing with us! Note : I substituted the chicken with mushroom and name it Pallipalayam Kalan (mushroom) Kuzhambu (gravy). I modified the ingredients level for my convenience.

 

   Pallipalayam Masala: 

Ingredients:
Chilli powder: 1 tsp 
Coriander powder: 2 tsp 
Cinnamon: 1 inch 
Green cardamom: 2
Cloves:
Dry ginger powder: 1 tsp 


  Method : Grind all the ingredients to a fine powder. 





  Pallipalayam Mushroom Gravy/Pallipalayam Kalan Kuzhambu 


Ingredients: 

Mushroom: 1 packet –cleaned and cut into big chunck 
Pearl onion: 5 or 6 diced 
Tomato: 1 small/diced 
Pallipalayam Masala (recipe above): 1 tsp
Salt: 1 tsp (or according your taste)
Coconut oil: 2 tsp
To roast and grind


Ingredients:
Cinnamon: 1 stick
Green Cardamom: 1
Cloves: 2
Star anise:
Fennel: 1 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Small onion: 4 counts/peeled 
Garlic: 2 cloves
Ginger: a small piece 
Cashew nuts: 6 counts
Coconut: ½ cup

Method: 
Roast and ground into paste adding water if necessary

Method to make the gravy: 
Heat the coconut oil, add the fennel once fried. 
Add the diced small onion, sauté for a while. Add the tomato and fry until the oil ooze out. Add the mushroom, ground masala + pallipalayam masala, adjust the salt and add approximately 1 to 1 ½ cup of water. Cook for 10 minutes in medium heat. 


 The vegetarian version is going to RCI-Kongunadu hosted by Priya and event created by lakshmi.

 
***********************************************
The original recipe is Pallipalayam chicken Gravy / Kozhi thengai kuzhambu (pallipalayam/Kongunadu style)



Pallipalayam chicken Gravy / Kozhi thengai kuzhambu

Ingredients:

Chicken : 4 drumsticks

Pearl onion: 5 or 6 diced

Tomato: 1 small/diced

  Pallipalayam Masala (recipe above): 1 tsp

  Salt: 1 tsp (or according ur taste)

Coconut oil: 2 tsp


  To roast and grind 

Cinnamon: 1 stick

Green Cardamom: 1

Cloves: 2

Star anise: 1 

Fennel: 1 tsp

Red chilli powder: 1 tsp 

Small onion: 4 counts/peeled 

Garlic: 2 cloves 

Ginger: a small piece

Cashew nuts: 6 counts

Coconut: ½ cup 


  Method: Roast and ground into paste adding water if necessary 


  Method for the chicken gravy: 

Heat the coconut oil, add the fennel once fried. Add the diced small onion, sauté for a while. Add the tomato and fry until the oil ooze out. Add the chicken drumsticks, ground masala + pallipalayam masala, adjust the salt and add approximately 1 to 1 ½ cup of water. Cook until the chicken is well done. 

  Verdict: I would prefer the Non-veg version which is totally delectable, masala was a bit too much for vegetarian version!


Comments

Raks said…
Like the mushroom gravy! looks and sounds so flavorful!
Never knew abt this cuisine..Thanks for introducing to us dear...
sra said…
I've heard about this chef, never knew he cooked on treetops and in rivers, though :) I've had some Kongu cuisine and I like it

I don't think I've heard of an entire Pallipalayam cuisine but v often, enthusiastic people from a region can call it by that name - I've seen several such examples - for fish fry, fish curry, etc (just before I wrote this comment, did some research on the Net and the ingredients and marinades are the same for these recipes but they come from different States). Of course, then it becomes a whole new culture/recipe and that is perpetuated for a long time. In the absence of a striking difference, I've always wondered why the same dish is claimed by various cultures as their own - probably because they don't know it exists in other places as well?

You should see what these star hotels do when they have speciality buffets - they attach a name of a place to each dish to let people think it's authentic, so you can have a let's say, Guntur fish curry or chicken curry when there is really nothing specific like that.
Priya Suresh said…
Wat a droolworthy mushroom curry Cham, thanks for sending to RCI..Both chicken gravies looks tempting..
lata raja said…
Hey endha ooruppa neenga? you wrote about Salem mangoes earlier and now this. I guess we might be from same region! enakku mushroom curry is tempting.
jayasree said…
The post made an interesting read. I think i will try the veg version.
Lavanya Raj said…
Cham, u have done a good research, and nice informative post on pallipalayam kozhi korma.

Pacca Neat Pictures.
Sunshinemom said…
Pallikoodam means school but doesn't seem any relation to the recipe!

I assumed that Kongunadu must be to do with Konkanis but this times RCI sure widened my knowledge a bit!

Your mushrooms look sumptuous.
CurryLeaf said…
New cuisine to me Cham.Love the mushroom version.Looks perfect with rice/rotis
Nandinis food said…
Oozzlurp! All those kozhumbus are so goluptious! Marvellous!
I'm also not really familiar about this cuisine. Never been to Coimbatore or Pallipalayam.
I liked the candor... The recipe looks yummy and lovely presentation too...
Finla said…
I like all three dishes, love that you always give with non also the gravy.
I can imagine the chapithi soaking up that delicous gravy, the thought make me really hungry and i just had my lunch.
Sharmila said…
It is almost dinner time and just looking at those snaps makes me hungry. :-)
Gita Jaishankar said…
Pallipalayam cuisine is new to me Cham...thanks for bringing this cusine and awesome masala and dish into limelight :)
koda said…
Check out Chef Jacob's Official website for more wonderful recipes... http://www.chefjacob.in
Bong Mom said…
The masalas sure look heavy. Thanks for introducing to a new kind of cuisine Cham
Soma said…
The masala sounds real good Cham.. must have had lot of flavors. I cooked chicken today, wish i had seen this before i started:-)

interesting read!
Uma said…
mmm.lovley recipes. new to me.
Varsha Vipins said…
Ola..I love that deep brown color..Cham..u have that mushroom dish but pls pls pass me that chicken bowl will ya..:)
ST said…
Looks very delicious...Its new for me...Thanks for wonderful recipe:)
Unknown said…
wow many recipes in one post mmm mushroom gravy looks mouthwatering yummm
Unknown said…
I even come from kongunadu ;)and could n't get you exactly Cham...The term Kongunadu includes COimbatore,Salem,Tiruppur,Erode etc.,and there are many recipes which is traditionally followed in all these cities...We claim those recipes as Kongunadu recipes...In kongunadu recipes,u can see more use of coconut,just like the recipe u have followed...,frying the coriander seeds for tadka...the recipes which are followed by generations and even I have not mentioned any introduction in those recipes,other than mentioning that they come from Kongunadu :))))...hehhhehe...anyways love the chicken,pallipalayam chicken super ponga...
Vani said…
That masala sounds really yum, Cham. Like you said, it'd be better in a chicken or any other non-veg curry. That chef sounds like fun! :)
Mandira said…
Never heard about this chef before. Will try the chicken curry soon.
Madhuram said…
I have some mushrooms in the fridge and was wondering what to do differently and viola I land here and see the finger licking mushroom curry. I'm definitely giving this a try.
Cham said…
Sra: Pallipalayam is only famous for chicken & biryani! But I ve never tasted before in India!
"for dish claiming cultures": Probably people never got chance to cross the States and look what our neigh. cooks that is my assumption!
Lata R: I m from Pondy. My in laws origin is Kongunad! My aunt (sitty)is from Salem.
Harsha K: Thanks for the link!
Ramya B: I found three or 4 blogs about Kongunadu but now seems abandoned by the blogger in time period. They do have some wonderful recipes of kongunadu I guess! The title of post mentionned kongu and that's it... I tried to search on net the dish, seems no luck.
If u ve mentionned it ( no problem) that would be really easy to everyone who search ( in fact i came to know u were from Coimbat while googling)...
karuna said…
the gravy looks yummy. I would love it with the chicken....and some rice...mmmmmmmm!!!!! i think i can alomost taste it......
Cham...passiya athurenga...:)chicken gravy is really tempting me:)
Avisha said…
I have started blogging only a few months ago. I dont see many blogs that put up Non vegetarian recipes.Anyway lovely color and presentation.Thanks for sharing something new on the cuisine.
Sujatha said…
I've seen this special name in some restaurant menus! Nice to see the recipe here, Cham! Can't wait to try this.. I watch chef Jacob in Sun Tv all the time, I like his recipes, especially non-veg! :)
notyet100 said…
three in on epost,..all the curries looks so yum,..;-)
Unknown said…
Looks really good Cham. Would love to try the chicken version. Have seen this chefs cookery shows earlier.He cooks with rare herbs and unique recipes.
Veggie Belly said…
I am always amazed at how even within the same state, every region and sub culture has its own cuisine. I havent heard of pallipalayam, but this curry sure looks good!
Chitra said…
Looks nice, i shall try the first one !!
Vijitha said…
Lovely colours! looks so yummy
Lakshmi said…
Loved the mushroom curry Cham. Color looks inviting
Anonymous said…
Wow both gravies look absolutely yummy! Never heard of this cuisine but looks damn delicious :)
Bong Mom said…
loved the new template
Recipeswap said…
Two flavorful recipes.
Madhavi said…
New cuisine for me, and yummm dishes!!
Shivali said…
Tried your mushroom gravy.Turned out awesome.Thanks for the recipe.
Pavani said…
hi cham hru..mouthwatering curries..
Cynthia said…
Thanks for the introduction.
s said…
palliapalayam..nope never heard of it..but im sure ive been missing something...love the chicken version
Haddock said…
Hey there should be some sort of ban when such yummy photographs are put up.. . . .especially when the reader is hungry :-)

(will try out your recipe)
Lena Jayadev said…
kalan curry looks amazing cham...and the way you took snap with chappath1,,!!!! i felt to run out with that dish and chappathi...awesome cham.. :)
Yasmeen said…
Love the aromatic masala mix :)
Shwetha said…
I just discovered your blog. And I'm glad I did. Great recipes and very useful descriptions.
Suganya said…
Very different try. Both the gravies looks so good. Love to see more recipes from kongunadu cuisine, they capture our ancient culture very well. Love it.....YUM!
suvi said…
can't wait to try this with chicken. The gravy looks absolutely delish!
Hi Cham
Visiting your blog after a long time..like the new look....the mushroom dish looks quite interesting with its ingredients..i will try it surely...