Christmas Fruitcake/Plum cake

Are you puzzled what to take for the coming Holiday potluck or give a homemade gift? Why not to bake the classic holiday Fruitcake and make your friends or family bring back some vivid memories.
When I was a kid, one of the goodies, I always look forward each Christmas is the Fruitcake and Semolina cake. When our Christian friends share the fruitcake along with sweets and snacks. Everyone wants to have a share for the little slice of cake :) The dry fruits soaked in alcohol and nuts folded in flour and caramel will drive us nuts! The next day, my dad makes sure to get a plum cake (Indian fruit cake) from bakery, which is individually wrapped in wax paper!
Wasn’t that cool to receive all those goodies for Diwali, Christmas and Eid and feast their lovely homemade goodies or remember at least those festivals. It remains as sweet memories forever!

I already baked a Fruits and Nuts cake from Bee’s place. If you are looking for a vegan recipe better to follow her awesome and fool proof recipe.

For the Indian version of Plum cake (fruitcake), I got the recipe from RP but modified the sweet and soaked the dry fruits in orange juice along with rum extract. I have done before for this recipe. The recipe met all my expectations, except I want to reduce more the sugar level to ½ cup next time. After all I felt ¼ cup reduction of sugar is not enough for my spicy tongue! The alcohol can be always omitted if you wish but definitely the taste differs.



Fruitcake/Plum cake



Ingredients

Mixed Dry fruits: 1 cup ( date-dark raisin-golden raisin-apricot-dry cherry) or can use any dry fruits (tutty
fruity) or even dried welch' dry fruits (US product)
Nuts: 1/2 cup of mix of cashew, almonds and pecans (add 1/2 tsp AP flour and coat well the nuts prevent not settling down in cake pan)
All purpose flour (maida): 1 cup
Sugar: 3/4 cup
Egg: 3 num
Butter: 1 stick (1/4 lb 0r approx 113 gm) (kept at room temperature)
Baking soda: 1/4 tsp
Baking powder: 1 tsp
Salt:1/2 tsp
All spice powder: 1 tsp or
Dry ginger- cinnamon-clove-nutmeg: 1/4 tsp in each spice powdered
Orange zest: 1 tbsp (from one orange)
Orange juice: soak the dry fruits , approxim just enough to cover the fruit (3/4 cup)
Rum extract :1 1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence: 1 tsp

Before making the cake
Before start making the cake , try to soak the dry fruit for several hours, overnight or few days ahead, the more the merrier. I soaked for 24 hours and the juice are well absorbed by the dry fruits.
Warm the orange juice in microwave mix the dry fruits & rum extract and keep close the container for several hours, overnight or days! If it is soaked for days , try to stir time to time.

To make the caramel:

Sugar: 1/4 cup
Water: 1 tbsp
Warm water: 1/4 cup

How to make caramel?
Add sugar and 1 tbsp water keep in stove at low medium heat. When the sugar starts to caramelize , stir slowly with wooden spoon. The sugar will start to change color from light brown to dark. In between , keep in microwave the water for 1 min and warm it. When the sugar starts to turn brown , pour slowly the warm water keep ur face away! (caution: it splitter so be cautious!). Let it cool completly the caramel and add the vanilla essence.


To bake the cake
Preheat the oven at 35o degree, grease a small loaf pan and place a wax paper at the bottom.

Beat the butter, sugar until creamy add one by one the egg and beat until creamy, add the cooled caramel beat again.
Sift AP flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spice powder together.
Sprinkle the flour slowly in butter, sugar, egg caramel mixture and fold it.
Add the dry fruits only (if you ve little juice left keep it away or add in the cake mixture), nuts and orange zest. fold again.
Pour in grease pan and cook in middle of the rack for 40 to 50 minutes. If not cooked increase 10 min each time.
My cake was ready under 45 min! Depend of your oven! Note: The alcohol is evaporated while baking so we can safely feed the kid. Rum is the key flavor and the extract do give the flavor of the original plum cake we get from the bakery. You can always skip the rum and soak in fruit juice but the flavor is different!



Some important tips before baking the cake:

Plan ahead for soaking!
Soak in advance the dry fruits in orange juice (with or without rum extract) or alcohol (if you wish)
There was pretty much 2 or 3 tbsp of orange juice was leftover after soaking the dry fruits, I added in my cake mixture (optional)
You can soak in alcohol or even skip it!
The cake takes a longtime to bake so line with wax paper.
If you don’t like any of the fruit listed in ingredients can be always substituted by the fruit and nuts of your choice.
Try to bake in reduce heat level (otherwise the cake tends to brown over the top )


Note where to get some items: Rum extract can be found in baking section. Welch’s mixed dry fruits can be found in any Walmart (US stores)

Help yourself for this Christmas!





1.The homemade Christmas cake is reaching Happy cook Homemade Christmas Gift event and don't forget to see the instant round-up (pretty much right Happy cook) here to get some ideas for this Holiday season.
2.Can this cake meet Santa's expectations? Check out Santa's Holiday Challenge event sending to her event.
3.Let's celebrate the Christmas feast event at Purva's place with this cake.
I am not able to figure out nowdays the food events, if anyone feels it fits someone's event, please let me know i will gladly link back to their events.
Wishing Eid Mubarak for my readers!

Comments

anudivya said…
OMG! I have been looking for this, the christmas cake with rum. Awesome.
Thanks.
Cham said…
AnuDi It taste exactly like Our Grand Bakery plum cake!
Sangeeth said…
ho! ho! ho! c'mon I bet santa would be heartless to say a no to this yummy cake...i too want to bake this but i think i'll skip the alcohol part ;)
Purva Desai said…
Plum cakes are my all time fav cakes. I just love them having it with tea / coffee....Will try baking it using ur recipe...

Thanks for the lovely entry dear...
Unknown said…
Cham , that one is my family's favorite !! I too love fruits cakes, and its come so beautiful and perfect in your photo:) The slices look wonderful!
kamala said…
Gorgeous cake Cham...Never made plum cake..This would sure be a keeper..Bookmarked it!!
Deepthi Shankar said…
looks delicious cham .. you are already setting the mood for christmas
my goodness. cake looks fantastic. and great click too.
Laavanya said…
That plum cake in wax paper is my favorite.. brought back such lovely memories. Your cake looks perfect Cham - thanks for the detailed instructions.
Vaishali said…
Looks amazing, Cham. Fruitcakes have become something of a joke around the holidays, but this one looks like an absolute winner. Nice job!
Vishali said…
wow fruit cake......i just love it....it looks so yummy

vishali
http://vishuskitchen.blogspot.com/
Sum Raj said…
woo..this has came out soo well cham...fabulous click..my hubby all time fav..
Sujatha said…
wow! Now I'm really starting to feel the christmas fever in me :) I usually stay away from baking, but this yummy juicy looking plum cake is really testing me :) Gal, that looks awesome! Especially those slices.. Great entry!
Thank you so much for your entry to my Holiday Challenge, Cham!! This is truly an awesome post with well-explained tips and all!

I have a Christmas cake competition coming up and eventhough I said I am not in, I really am very tempted to try ur recipe :-)
Uma said…
OMG! what a lovely cake for christmas! OK I guess I will have to stay at your place for christmas to eat such yummy treats! Bravo Cham!
CurryLeaf said…
Lovely Cham,Perfect Fruit Cake.I once tried a recipe,but the cake did not come out well.Love this.Bakery Cake itself.I read your response to AnuD.But one q?is the oven temp 350 or 315.I do not know whether it is a typo or correct temp.Sorry for the trouble
Cham said…
Curry Leaf: The response to Anud , she is from my place so if I say "Grand bakery" very famous for plum cake!
The temp is a typo I will correct it, thanks CF... But when the oven temp is low the cake will not form a dark crust on top!
CurryLeaf said…
Thanks Cham for answering,I was talking about the normal bakery plum cakes.I could not find the recipe for these. :) Thanks for clarifying also about the oven temp.I did not know about that.
Unknown said…
i can imagine the taste..am going to make one soon..
Gita Jaishankar said…
I too used to love the plum cakes from our Christian friends. Thanks for sharing the recipe Cham :)
Sunshinemom said…
Cham! Your blog is all set for Christmas. I only miss some Elvis Priestley Songs here:) The snowflakes, yummy plum cake and great setting speak of the festive spirit!! Beautiful!
Usha said…
Wow the plum cake looks fabulous, bet it tasted awesome...
Red Chillies said…
Looks very festive and colorful. I like your new blog look, very apt for the holidays.
vidhas said…
This is my latime favourite. Yours look delicious. Want to have right now.
Kayal said…
Very appropriate for this season...Picture speaks for itself...
Pavani said…
ooh...cake looks superab yaar... i want the complete cake cham..
Premyscakes said…
Hi Cham, fruit cake looks really perfect, I have also made one, will post soon .
Jaishree Iyer said…
Plum cake looks Awesome and great click too cham .
RAMKUMAR said…
plum cake looks AWESOME
RAMKUMAR,CHENNAI
Priya Suresh said…
Wow wat a gorgeous Plum Cake,yeah as u said cake looks like grand bakery plum cake Cham.. am missing it lot...just starring at ur clicks,pulling me to prepare very soon...as u have added apricot, send this dish to Siri's corner for AFAM apricot...
The Fit.Me said…
Cham, I've been looking for a fruit cake recipe for sometime now..will definately try this..Thanks..first time here. u have a nice space..
vandana rajesh said…
yummm is all I can say. This is absolutely wonderful. Have been wanting to bake a christmas cake at home and nothing better than this definitely. Thks for sharing the recipe
My all time favourite Plum Cake. I have been looking quiet sometime for the recipe. Soon would luv to make it.
Finla said…
Thankyou for sending me this delicious looking fruit cake. I to used tolove the cristmas cake bought from bakery , used to wait for getting them. I have not made yet anycake for christmas as i didn't want as most of them took too long for baking almost 2hrs and this just 45 minutes. I might try to make this.
Malar Gandhi said…
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey, I am so glad that you posted this recipe step by step. I am a worst baker in the world. I chicken out...when it comes to baking. I gathered some courage looking at ur instructions...you made it damn clear to me, thank you dear. Luv this fruit & nut cake.
Divya Kudua said…
Oh Cham...you have left me droooooling..;-)..its one of my baking dreams to bake a perfect christmas fruit cake..lovely tips and instructions..am so in love with the slices..perfect!!!
Raks said…
Wow,looks so soft and good,thanks for sharing the recipe:)
Unknown said…
WOw...looks so colorful and yummy Cham...
Btw..the kitchen tool(the white n red one u asked for is a donut maker-just like ulundhu vadai maker u get it in India)
Anonymous said…
OMG!! what a lovely perfect looking & taht too a plum cake. I have been wanting to make this for ever... now i have to. Can u sent me a slice? Pleaaaseeeeeeeeeee?:-)
raaji said…
Wonderful!!!cham i love this cake with all the nuts...seems like santa would be impressed:)
karuna said…
wowowo, this looks sooooo good. i love fruit cakes and i try baking one every Christmas. i will make it according to this recipe this time. really yummy
Beyond Curries said…
The plum cake has come out very good, Cham. I was also thinking of baking this cake and was going to search for a good recipe. Now I have one.
Archy said…
Wow, wonderful plum Xmas cake Cham, i'm just drolling :)!!
Let me try eggless version, atleast this time.. What is rum extract ??
Cham said…
Archy: Rum extract is a substitution or imitation to Rum (alcohol)
Shreya said…
hi Cham, that is an awesome cake. Wish I could taste it. And bake some myself too:-(.Looking forward to more yum christmas treats here:-) Please collect award from my blog to you:-)
Unknown said…
awesome mmmmm looks so mouthwatering thanks for the recipe
Hm.....Love to have this plum (cake) with rum.... drooling.....

There is something new and spl in my blog waiting for yr arrival dear....
Kalai said…
What a beautiful cake! I remember this one aunty we know who makes the only fruitcake I've liked so far. Yours looks so similar to that, it's tempting me!! :)
ranji said…
ALready in xmas mood :)...i love plum cakes..we used to get lots of plum cakes from family friends during this time back home..so used to hate them....now that i dont get them..i have started to like them....it tastes better after a few days...good one cham...love the santa cap on ur avatar :)
Unknown said…
Wow.. looks perfect & delicious.. nice entry.. great click..
Vikis Kitchen said…
Thank u dear for this wonderful recipe. Sure to make this cake for Christmas... May be without alcohol.Always love this cake in India.yummy right?
mitr_bayarea said…
Cham-

What a rich, thick and mouth watering slab of plum cake, you can actually do a post on holiday recipes, baking etc. Keep up the good work!
mitr_bayarea said…
Cham-

you have an award waiting in my blog...
Dewi said…
Oh my,
This reminds me that I have to make mine soon. I have been making it year after year in advance, this time, am bit behind in making this traditional christmas cake. Thanks for posting it.
Cheers,
Elra
Yasmeen said…
Festive nutty fruity cake! I was crazy about those plum cakes sold in Indian bakeries sold at this time of the year.
Vanamala Hebbar said…
wow cham ....beautiful & nice pic
AnuSriram said…
Wow.. Thats so wonderful... Have to give it a try!
Namratha said…
This has been on my to-bake list since loooong Cham, but haven't done it yet only bcoz my mom's recipe calls for tutti frutti...not able to find some here! Your loaf is perfect and I bet it must taste great. Well done Cham! :)

Btw, a package is headed your way. :)
Anonymous said…
I made this cake today..with a few minor changes.. thanks a lot for the recipe..
Anonymous said…
Amiable dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.
Anonymous said…
I tried this cake two time, both time it's a super hit. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

All the fruits in the cake is settle down in the bottom? what i can do to prevent this. I coated with flour, but still it settle down.
Cham said…
Anonymous: Thanks for the input & appreciate it.
If u have coated with flour, I guess probably u ve over mixed it, Fold the dry fruits at the end and do not over mix it, hope this could help you!
Raeki's Kitchen said…
Delicious cake, tried and 100% success for me, thanks a ton for this wonderful recipe, tasted exactly like the plum cake i used to have in India.
Cheers:)
Suryakrish said…
The Christmas fruitcake recipe you've shared is a classic! It reminds me of the Baking Classes In Chennai where I learned to create such delightful treats. Thank you for the nostalgia!