Andhra special: Dosakaya Pappu

The title itself should bring smile to many Andhra-ite. Dosakai is one of the popular veggie of Andhra, it is small, round and yellow, pretty much look like a small melon. It belongs to the cucumber family. Another discovery made in veggie list after moving to California, my mom never cooked any dish with that vegetable. I am still wondering if we can find one or not in my place. But how lucky we are in US; we discover so many Indian vegetables in US soil!
The veggie has a slight tart taste compare to normal cucumber! They hold the shape, crunchiness too when they are cooked!
Dosakai avakaya/pachadi (pickle) is very popular Andhra dish , other than this dhal.
Usually Tamilian version of dhal doesn’t contain any veggie and the dhal is pretty thin. But the difference this dhal is thick, they add veggie like Mango, dosakai, etc…
I would say, if we make sambar without sambar powder it might taste like this one. The one I bought and made was totally yellow, but this one is little different by color! 


Dosakaya/Dosakai/melon cucumber


Dosakaya Pappu


Ingredients:

Toor Dhal (lentil):
½ cup
Dosakai / Dosakaya: 2 small (please taste each veggie, they might be bitter) cubed into big chunk
Onion: 1 medium sliced
Tomato: 1 medium diced
Green chillis: 3 or 4 according ur taste
Red Chilli powder: 1tsp
Turmeric: ¼ tsp
Tamarind paste: ½ tsp or less according your tang taste diluted in ½ cup of water
Salt: according ur taste

Seasoning:
Mustard seed:
1 tsp
Cumin: 1tsp
Curry leaves: few leaves
Hing/asafoetida: a pinch
Oil: 1 tsp


Method:

Pressure-cook the dhal with at least 2 cups of water for about 4 whistles and keep aside
In the same pressure cooker, heat the oil and do the following seasoning
Add the sliced onion, green chillis and cook until they turn translucent
Now, add the tomato, dhal, dosakaya chunk, turmeric, chilli powder, and tamarind juice.
Adjust the salt level and tamarind level according ur taste buds.
Close the lid and just leave a whistle and remove immediately from the stove.
Yes, if u leave a long time, the veggie will disappear in dhal!
Garnish with cilantro leaves (optional)
 Enjoy the dhal with hot rice, with the touch of ghee and some fiery pickle.





Note: the dhal should be thick!
This is my entry to My Legume Love affair hosted by Sra and Susan .
This Andhra special is for SWC-Andhra hosted by Haripriya and an event started by LG.

Comments

sra said…
That looks really authentic, Cham! We just finished this pappu today.
Unknown said…
I havent tasted this dhall..But sounds too good..Looks like comfort food..
CurryLeaf said…
Lovely Cham,wonderful dish for wonderful events.
ST said…
Dosakaya Pappu looks heavenly.....Its so many years I tasted it...
Looks very yummy... I like the picture as well.
anudivya said…
Aaah! So that is what one does with Dosakaya! Always wondered what it was when I went to the market!
Usha said…
This looks yummy...have never tried this veggie at all...will check out to see if it is available in my neck of the woods :)
mitr_bayarea said…
Cham-

Have always seen this in Indian stores, but didn't know if we could make thogayal out of it or what. Now, I knoe, papuu looks tasty and healthy.
Cham said…
Mitr.bay: U can even make pickle . Check our Uma's recent cucumber pickle.
Uma said…
:) did you see my smile? Yes, the title itself made me so happy as this is my most fav. kind of pappu. I eat it with some curd chillies or some avakaya on the side. Yummy! Thanks for reminding it dear! Thanks for talking about my cucumber pickle too. You made the pappu just like my mother does. So delicious.
Unknown said…
good one..something new for me..
raaji said…
I love all kinds of dal..simple yet tasty...
Lakshmi said…
I am on look for that small dosakaya in my next visit to market! Thanks for lovely recipe dear and sending it to us..you may want to change Andra to Andhra. SWC will be on holidays for Nov and Dec, many of us (S bloggies) are not available for participation so we declared leave for 2 months ahahaha..Have a wonderful weekend.
Anonymous said…
Looks yum cham.
Sujatha said…
Aah, thats one of my comfort foods! Ever since I tasted this dish for the first time recently in an Andhra restaurant, its been flavoring my kitchen often :) I just love this kootu when I have it with rice and ghee! Hmm, heavenly! :)
Suganya said…
Hi Cham..
Have bookmarked this recipe. I always love to try different dal recipes. This looks so good. YUM!
Rachel said…
This vegetable was never picked off the shelves all because I never knew what to do with it...The dhal sounds nice to get me to buy some :)
jayasree said…
Dosakaya looks similar to Vellarikkai we get in Kerala. It isn't round but. I shall try with Vellarikkai.
Unknown said…
Nice entry dear... never made this dhal. will try... thxs for sharing...
Priya Suresh said…
Looks really delicious Cham... goes awesome with hot steaming rice topped with ghee n mango pickles...mouthwatering...
Sia said…
wowie... i haven't come across soutekai as we call in kannada here. we make huli menasiana kodhel which is a coconut based curry with good dose of garlic tadka. total yummo...
and taht pappu is to die for...and reborn again ;)
Deepthi Shankar said…
that looks very yummy .. shall try this ..
Kayal said…
I have never tasted this recipe and also have never used this veggie...will surely try this once...Thanks for the recipe
Finla said…
I have never had this veggie, but would love to have this dish with rice.
Pavani said…
it looks really yummy,if we have it with hot plain rice and ghee ..oh my god...it will be...
kamala said…
yes Cham , We too eat only simple dal with rasam..no veggies in it..Now everything changed after coming here..Lots of new veggies..Looks so good.
Srivalli said…
Thats awesome looking dish...cham..
Laavanya said…
I've not tasted dosakaya before.. but this pappu looks delicious.
Raks said…
This I have heard but never tried or tasted b4,lloks lovely!
Happy diwali to you!
karuna said…
this is totaly new to me. thanks for sharing the recipe
Mandira said…
you're right about discovering new indian veggies. It was tindora for me... the pics are lovely!
Sujatha said…
Happy Deepavali to you and your family, Cham!!
Vaishali said…
I've never had this round cucumber. The dal looks delicious, Cham.
Priya Suresh said…
Hi Cham,
pls collect hardblogger award from my blog .. u deserve it...

http://priyaeasyntastyrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/10/hard-working-food-blogger-award.html
lubnakarim06 said…
Awesome and my favourite pappu. Looks divine.
Pavani said…
Happy Deepavali to you and your family
Yasmeen said…
I'm from andhra,dosakaya pappu is delicious with rice.
Cham,I have an award waiting for you at my blog,please collect:)
vidhas said…
I have not tried dosakaya. I used to see in the shops i will think what to do with this.Thanks for the recipe
Anonymous said…
Wish you and your family a very "HAPPY DIWALI" dear
Prema Sundar said…
Before coming to US we too would cook only plain dhal and have it with rasam and rice. But now I make methi dal, spinach dal and mango dal too. Have'nt tried with dosakaya.. would love to try it out sometime.
looks great ..
Dori said…
It's always nice to try a new veggie or fruit, it looks delicious!
CurryLeaf said…
Happy Diwali to you and family
Uma said…
Wishing you and your family a happy diwali!
Unknown said…
wonderful recipe and love ur version Cham.Happy Diwali.
Sunshinemom said…
Oh ho ho, O ho ho dosakayalu! Very tasty looking!
Siri said…
I don't get 'dosakaya' at our Indian stores Cham..:( Urs looks so delish!

Hope u are doing good.

Hugs,
Siri
Susan said…
Delish! Those cute, round cukes brought a smile to my face, too. :}